Force Fin Designs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• DSC_0540.jpg-fw.jpg
    DSC_0540.jpg-fw.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 80
The Hockey Fins in the original high performance urethane were arguably/probably the best performing fins made. They could do ANY kick and had more power than any straight blade. The "SNAP" is unmatched (and unbelievable). Tan Delta Excellerating FF's were close but not as versatile or maneuverable.

Yellow Hockey Fins.jpg (Pardon my toes :wink:)

The Hockey Fins in the original high performance urethane were arguably/probably the best performing fins made. They could do ANY kick and had more power than any straight blade. The "SNAP" is unmatched (and unbelievable). Tan Delta Excellerating FF's were close but not as versatile or maneuverable.

View attachment 591110 (Pardon my toes :wink:)
Tan Delta was pretty, but toooo stiff.

Attachments

• ff-36.jpg
    ff-36.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 58
Tan Delta’s were stiffer. The material was OK for regular and Flying Force Fins with their shorter blades but the Extra and Excellerating were hard to really “load up”. Great for NFL running backs but tough on us mortals. .

The new urethane that went into the Hockey Fins was a much more progressive load up and they returned more of the energy you put in them There were a few experimental Hockey Fins that Bob made with the new material that were almost “Jet” stiff and if(?) you could kick them — WOW .

Well that sounds like the fins I got , my Tan Delta Excellerators are much easier to kick than the Blue Hockey Fins ...
I went back to the Excellerators as less work and just about as much thrust

Attachments

• e-30.jpg-fw.jpg
    e-30.jpg-fw.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 61
  • wing-pat004-fw.jpg
    wing-pat004-fw.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 65
Well that sounds like the fins I got , my Tan Delta Excellerators are much easier to kick than the Blue Hockey Fins ...
I went back to the Excellerators as less work and just about as much thrust

I am surprised that the Excellerators are easier to kick. The original test fins were all black and Bob, Messier and I did the evaluations. Mine were the stiffest and Bob’s the most flexible. The production fins were close to the middle.

I asked Bob to make my Yellow fins on the softer side, so my comparison between my Tan Delta Excellerators and my Hockey Fins may not be representative; and I have not tried the current production fins. So my evaluation may not be totally accurate for current fins

I do know my Excellerators are too stiff for these old legs.

Can’t wait for Bob to get to the story of the OPS Fins he made for the Ocean Futures Society (Cousteau). I would love to try them (I have owned every other fin Bob has made commercially and a couple of non-commercial models). Still feel the original Hockey Fins are the best all around model

TN, could take a year to get to the point of the OPS. Just keep pulling out more from boxes..On we move....Was working on a longer Force Fin blade for my friend Skip Dunham and a short surf fin, for our local Junior LifeGuards. . It was the surf fin Rip Force Rip Force Fin – Force Fin that started the idea of side Whiskers instead of stiff ribs like I had on my Jet Fins. (dove 20 years in ). Here at Ancapa Island, west end, Don is going for it at 80 Feet. Beach surf fin ( changed into Rip Force) before the Winglet designs. Bob Kirby Scallops Away – Force Fin

Attachments

• forcefin-baf-fw.jpg
    forcefin-baf-fw.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 56
  • ripf_bpm-fw.jpg
    ripf_bpm-fw.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 55
Love the Rip Force for snorkeling. Move the whiskers inward for swims out to the reef and move them outward for amazing control. I can use them off a boat or sandy beaches but have to use a fin with booties for those rocky entrances. :(

They are much easier on the legs than longer fins and I don't kick other snorkelers with them.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom