For US Divers on Medicare: Do You Purchase Health Insurance for Trips to Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
dflaher

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Struggled whether this belongs on a diving forum, but we have lots of great threads about beer and food so here goes 😊.

I recently turned 65 and am now among the Medicare ranks; as such I do not have health insurance outside of the US. For those of you in a similar situation, do you pick up a policy before coming down, or roll the dice, or...?

Obviously I will have DAN insurance to cover the diving stuff. I'm in good health and I limit non-diving activities to walking about town to restaurants/ATMs etc.

International travel - reply on presenting your insurance card for
Medical care? As in an emergency situation?

You might want to think about the providers wanting cash on the barrel

My experience has been you need to pre-pay

I priced a nine-day single trip and it would be $266 at my age of 75. Generali Global Insurance gives me $150K medical coverage with no deductible for a nine-day trip to Cozumel for $97 plus comprehensive trip insurance coverage. Now your plan includes a full million in coverage, but my call is that my $200K coverage with Generali Global Insurance plus my plan G should be enough to keep me alive and treated until I can be flown to Houston where Medicare and plan G will take over expenses.
Good way to think about it I guess. The issue I have with trip insurance is that the various parts get commingled, with little transparency as to what one pays for what. In my case, I really just want enough emergency medical coverage to get me fixed up enough to get home. The two parts you mention are trip insurance - which I believe means interruption of cancellation - and evacuation insurance. As as cancellation insurance, while a Coz dive trip isn't chump change it isn't life changing money either. I could likely put my airfare in a bank and depending when I cancel, can get some portion of my diving and lodging reimbursed. Does medical insurance typically include evacuation? And how is the determination to evacuate made?

For me the real exposure is in emergency medical care, so that's what I'd like to focus on purchasing.

Good way to think about it I guess. The issue I have with trip insurance is that the various parts get commingled, with little transparency as to what one pays for what. In my case, I really just want enough emergency medical coverage to get me fixed up enough to get home. The two parts you mention are trip insurance - which I believe means interruption of cancellation - and evacuation insurance. As as cancellation insurance, while a Coz dive trip isn't chump change it isn't life changing money either. I could likely put my airfare in a bank and depending when I cancel, can get some portion of my diving and lodging reimbursed. Does medical insurance typically include evacuation? And how is the determination to evacuate made?

For me the real exposure is in emergency medical care, so that's what I'd like to focus on purchasing.
I'm not going to suggest that you're going to have a good time, but read the policy that I referenced in post # 4 on page 1.
The trip insurance policy includes a heck of a lot more than interruption, and evacuation.

Who said that the various parts get commingled?
Who said that there is little transparency? Please provide an example.

mediumone out.

The two parts you mention are trip insurance - which I believe means interruption of cancellation - and evacuation insurance.
It sounds like you haven't looked at trip insurance coverages. Policies vary, but most cover a lot more than cancellation. The primary reason I take it is for the medical coverage, which is also the theme of the thread.
Does medical insurance typically include evacuation? And how is the determination to evacuate made?

Yes, trip insurance usually covers medically needed evacuation as determined by the attending physician, and handled by the trip insurance company. Your Dan membership also provides for repatriation handled by Dan, for medical needs or to return remains. You can't just book a plane and bill them; either one has to be requested by the doctor and booked thru the insurance company or thru Dan.

I'm not going to suggest that you're going to have a good time, but read the policy that I referenced in post # 4 on page 1.
The trip insurance policy includes a heck of a lot more than interruption, and evacuation.
Thanks @mediumone. I'm aware that trip insurance includes more than interruption and evacuation but my post didn't articulate that very well - sorry.

I'm interested in the policy you mentioned above, but all I see on SquareMouth are Seven Corners "Basic" and Seven Corners "Choice". I don't see a Seven Corners "Round Trip Elite".

I'm interested in the policy you mentioned above, but all I see on SquareMouth are Seven Corners "Basic" and Seven Corners "Choice". I don't see a Seven Corners "Round Trip Elite".
I've purchased from them in the past under their old name, and it looks like they offer more policies now. I'm guessing that they changed the names of Economy and Elite to Basic and Choice. Here's your link but it may be out of date.

Struggled whether this belongs on a diving forum, but we have lots of great threads about beer and food so here goes 😊.

I recently turned 65 and am now among the Medicare ranks; as such I do not have health insurance outside of the US. For those of you in a similar situation, do you pick up a policy before coming down, or roll the dice, or...?

Obviously I will have DAN insurance to cover the diving stuff. I'm in good health and I limit non-diving activities to walking about town to restaurants/ATMs etc.
IMO (and especially after 10 years on the department that answers complaints from people without insurance who experienced medical health emergencies without insurance) I urge people to make sure that you have out of country health insurance. It is foolish to do otherwise.

Thanks @mediumone. I'm aware that trip insurance includes more than interruption and evacuation but my post didn't articulate that very well - sorry.

We have a trip in July, and I just looked. It's there. Looks like they've changed the policy name a bit:

Seven Corners Trip Protection Elite

Here is the page with my search results:

Quote # 5

You'll notice $0 in trip costs. We will stay in our own condo, and cost of the ticket would be covered by Boss Woman's AA Advantage MasterCard.

Here is the page with my search results:

Quote # 5

You'll notice $0 in trip costs. We will stay in our own condo, and cost of the ticket would be covered by Boss Woman's AA Advantage MasterCard.
Thanks again. I will give SquareMouth a call; I am not getting the same results as you and I believe it is because I am from Arizona.

Here are my quotes. Seven Corners only offers $100K secondary medical coverage for the same price as your $250K. If I spend $72, I get $500K of primary medical coverage. I also didn't see scuba coverage specifically listed in the policy details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom