For US Divers on Medicare: Do You Purchase Health Insurance for Trips to Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
dflaher

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Struggled whether this belongs on a diving forum, but we have lots of great threads about beer and food so here goes 😊.

I recently turned 65 and am now among the Medicare ranks; as such I do not have health insurance outside of the US. For those of you in a similar situation, do you pick up a policy before coming down, or roll the dice, or...?

Obviously I will have DAN insurance to cover the diving stuff. I'm in good health and I limit non-diving activities to walking about town to restaurants/ATMs etc.

I think that my Medicare Advantage would remain my primary
Possibly - but I haven't scoured my Medigap/Supplemental policy to see if they cover scuba related activities.
I see no reason to double up with coverage from DAN.
I was thinking along those lines, but I'm already covered w/DAN through August. And I gotta believe there's some value in having specialized dive insurance vs dive insurance as part of a general policy. Could be wrong tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom