For those who voted on the "No mask on forehead vs..." poll...(second try)

If you previously voted "yes" for wearing mask on forehead, how many lifetime dives?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm so confused - I'm now wearing it on my left scapula!

Can't see squat, though.

Best,
Dano

The mask on the forehead thing was something I always did since childhood. Never was taught anything different and frankly it was never important enough to register a blip on my radar screen at all. I would rather worry about stuff like hard vs. soft shell tacos or light beer vs. dark beer. However, at several dive sites after repeated verbal attacks and general bad attitudes from smart @$$ knowitalls I will now ONLY wear the mask on the forehead. Yes I am in distress. I am in distress all the time from the stupid crap the dive world says I should worry about. Let it go mask nazis. I need a taco.

backwards on forehead before and after each dive. Its my way.. I invented it.. you must do it that way or you may not dive in my water.. all the water on the planet is mine and you may not use it unless you put your mask on backwards and on your forehead... ok?...

I wonder about a poll of people who splashed in the water a lot with mask and snorkel before getting cert'd versus people who didn't. I have a hard time not putting my mask on my head because as a kid (and an adult really), I was a little waterbug and was never taught not to, thus that's where my mask/goggles went (never lost one off my head, ocean, lake, or swimming pool even as a kid). Now, particularly with kind of a wide mask and not liking stuff around my neck, it seems intuitive, though was scared by the "distressed diver" thing.

Every time I've tried to put my mask on backwards, it stretches the strap strangely and I have to tighten it to have a comfortable fit. I'm becoming reborn as an "on the foreheader". Prior to that, I'd more often just leave it on my face. If I'm swimming that's certainly where it is, for the same reason I have a snorkel. I like to see what's under me.

That "sign of distress thing is so" controversial that it should be cleared by all the federations whether it's yes or no so once and for all, we wouldn't hear about it anymore.

I dont usually wear it on my forehead personnaly 'cause I was tortured too many times by my instructor during my rescue and divemaster training (PADI BTW) but it still seems so natural to do so on a shore dive with calm waters when you exit in 3 feet water. I would be happy to see that "rule" eliminated. Of course, on a boat dive in 100+ ft water, I will prefer to put it on my neck but in 3 ft, c'mon man!!!

There's a lot of more evident signs available that anyone, not even scuba trained, can understand. Why keep the one that so many wont understand, not even Hollywood.

Oh, goodie!

I was really hoping for another thread on this subject...

Rick Inman:
Oh, goodie!

I was really hoping for another thread on this subject...

Or someone could hijack this thread or the other thread about the hijackers.

Uncontroled assents, exploding tanks and regulators, masks on a forehead a sign of distress?????? What the he** is the dive communtiy coming to. I thought WWII ended all this crap. Bulging eyes, rapid resperation,and flaling arms are a sign of a paniced diver. A mask on the forehead is generally a sign of someone who is in control and laid back. If a diver panics they are more likely to rip it off if anything. Godless testoserone driven meatheads, use a little commen sense.
Okay, I feel better now. I guess I was certified before this rubber stamp thing became rampent. Sorry if I offended any newbies. That would be someone cerified after the 1980's.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom