For those who have been on the Oriskany...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FitnessKelly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I really want to do this dive....BAD! I'm wondering what you think is the "minimum needed" to make it a worthwhile diving experience? Twin tanks? Is Nitrox an option? Tri-mix?

We have 25 dives, most have been deep (wrecks and deep reefs), AOW and Nitrox certs (also rescue diver). We are very comfortable with deep diving and both very good with our air and buoyancy. We have our own equipment that we are comfortable with including dive computers. We want this dive to be worthwhile (get to see everything we want to see for our money and time). We do not have wreck cert, so we would not be penetrating the dive.

Depending on your recommendations, we could dive this ship later this summer or years from now, when we have trimix certs. Thanks!

It is most certainly do-able on nitrox. You'll never get to see everything within rec limits on the first two tanks. You will want/need to make several trips. If you've done boat dives, can maintain depth, and can follow instructions, you can certainly do this dive. It is awesome.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

It is a great dive, I did it on single lp95's nitrox32. would be good for probably nitrox27 or so if you are going to the deck. I did not make it to the deck but got distracted and found myself with the computer honking about ppo2 at 1.79 and i found myself about 15-20 rom the deck. I beat it to 90' and finished the dive. There is a lot to see and is worth the multiple trips to dive it.

Having dove it; I'd get a custom blend of 28% for an MOD of 135 ft. You can see quite alot at the recreational limits, but dropping down to the flight deck is just a big expanse of metal. You need some really advanced certs to see the cool stuff below the rec. limits, but the tower is still the highlight.

Get a big tank, the biggest you can manage to carry. Doubles aren't necessary unless you really want to, because even with a 28% blend, you'll limit out on time before you limit on gas, probably. The bigger question is how do you handle being narc'ed? You will be narced on this dive.

If you're looking for a charter, I recommend Viking Diving. Captain Tim will see you right.
Viking Diving Home

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom