For those of you who dive solo . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ditto.

I never knew there were so many solo divers living quiet lives of desperation!

I, too, have wondered why there was never anybody home in the solo forum. Recently, I realized it is probably wrong for me to try and defend it in the general Scuba Discussions....just like I grew out of being so critical of DIR, but in here we could exchange ideas more freely. This may be our light bulb moment.

Nemrod:
As to DIR, as said before, I like much of the concepts and equipment arrangements and their adherence to a set of ideals, what newbie DIR divers fail to understand or appreciate is that they are not the only ones that may adhere to standards or have specific gear arrangements or have highly developed skills.
What many newer DIR types should also consider is that a perfectly trained perfectly outfitted buddy just might give you a false sense of security.

Rely on yourself, even when diving with a buddy.

I happen to LIKE diving with my buddies. I like sharing things with them. I do believe that having two brains operating at once is probably better than one, and I've had a couple of equipment problems where I was very glad to have an alert buddy to help out. Either could have been dealt with by myself; both were easier with a buddy.

And, BTW, I lead my share of dives -- I don't think that's "tagging along", is it?

There wasn't anything in my post opening this thread, or my later post, that suggests that there is anything wrong with diving solo. I just wondered why people did it. I've gotten some very good and very interesting answers, I think.

And I have no idea how DIR got into the discussion!

TSandM:
And I have no idea how DIR got into the discussion!
I suppose because your opening post sounded much like a lead in for DIR. The entire "if your buddy dove exactly the same way and with the same gear" part :)

I hope I didn't come off as attacking you on the topic. It just seemed fairly obvious to me where you were headed on the first post.

TSandM I like your posts as always they put out a lot of information and recieve more information. The posts just seem to start some people to get real hot. I Dive Solo just because I have a hard time working out a good schedule with my dive buddy. I have off Sundays and Mondays now for three months then in another three months I might have Wednesday and Thursdays off for three months. My dive buddy has a 8-5 job with weekends off and I work shift work. I dive when I can or when I can without taking time away from my family, then again sometimes my wife kicks my Butt out the door and tells me to go :wink: I know Solo Diving has its problems but so does buddying diving. I have always relied on myself to solve my problems then if I can not, I look for my buddy to help.

Maybe I should have left the sentence about gear out :)

But wouldn't the ideal buddy be somebody who dives like you? (Assuming you think you're a pretty decent diver, that is.)

DIR has the advantage of producing divers who are going to be (if they adhere to the principles) very similar in approach and procedures, but that's not the only way you can have a buddy who is on the same wavelength. I'm sure there are plenty of people on SB who have long-term dive buddies who are like great dance partners -- people you understand and dive smoothly with. And it seems to me that, if you are lucky enough to develop such a partnership, there would not be very much allure to diving alone. But it's clear from some of the posts earlier in this thread that that's not true; even people with access to good and enjoyable buddies sometimes just like to be alone in the water. And that's what I wanted to know, when I posted the question.

Yeah, I'm a DIR convert, but not fanatical, and I try very hard not to proselytize. But I enjoy diving with my current buddies so much that I wondered why anybody would want to be in the water by themselves, when they could dive with friends like mine. I got some answers . . . it was interesting.

As a non-solo diver (noobie that I am), I tend to believe that the concept of solo diving is more correct than the "team" concept. That is, perhaps, because I tend to want to dive because:

a. I love the freedom of flying underwater;
b. I like to be able to stop, look and listen at MY pace and desire; and
c. I really enjoy taking pictures which means my focus is right in front of me, NOT on someone else!

That said, I wonder if people who either hunt or take pictures are much more likely to be "solo" divers, either in fact or in practice (same day, same ocean buddy)? I really don't get the "team" concept at all -- let ME be responsible for ME.

(Home life can be a little "iffy" with this attitude however.)

TSandM:
Yeah, I'm a DIR convert, but not fanatical, and I try very hard not to proselytize.
You sure about that :)

I love diving with just about anyone but unlike some divers I never look at my buddy as a source of help. I make certain I'm capable of taking care of myself, all the time. Doing otherwise would be giving myself a disservice.

TS the very best dive buddy you have just might not be there for you when you need them, no matter what you think.

I enjoy gearing up with my friends and of course it's great fun pointing things out to each other. I also enjoy the after dive talks. I love to dive with buddies, I just don't count on them.

Actually a good buddy does not need to dive like me. He/she does need to be competent and skilled with his equipment. Similar configurations are not necessary as i said before. What is necessary is mindset and objectives. Everything else can be worked around. Solo is not about gear, or what agency cert you hold. It's about wanting to be free to do what you want, not have to base your dives on someone else's schedule, and not having to rely on or be responsible for someone else. In this society where people are so happy to sue that can be a blessing. Not from the other diver but perhaps relatives who do not understand that as a diver you and you alone assume risk for your actions.

Peter Guy:
That said, I wonder if people who either hunt or take pictures are much more likely to be "solo" divers, either in fact or in practice (same day, same ocean buddy)? I really don't get the "team" concept at all -- let ME be responsible for ME.

(Home life can be a little "iffy" with this attitude however.)
When I take pictures (isn't that often) I consider myself a solo diver. Dive leaders will usually expect me to take care of myself. We dicuss it and then off I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom