For those of you who dive solo . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
Thanks for the reply, Snowbear. For what it's worth, I think what the mods do is a tough job, but you all do a great job with it...especially considering the variety of personalities you have to deal with here on the Board. Keep it up!

Hopefully this thread will evolve into its intended focus. However, I won't be holding my breath on that.

How about this? If anyone has anything constructive to say in regards to Lynne's original question, then please post it. If not, don't post anything in this thread. If you have a problem with DIR, then go here. This is a much more appropriate place for that kind of banter.
Great response ... and very good suggestion.

I have to wonder about people who would feel "guilty" about diving solo. Why? It's just another way to dive ... just go at it with your eyes open. My only objection is the same one I have for any other aspect of diving ... people engaging in it without proper training, equipment, or experience. Then ... just like any other type of diving ... they're just gambling that nothing goes wrong.

Have I solo dived? Heck yeah ... and enjoyed every minute of it. That doesn't preclude the fact that I enjoy diving with a good buddy too. Depends on the type of dive, the buddy, the circumstances, and the mood. But for me, that means buddy diving most (almost all) of the time ... I'm a social person, and enjoy the social aspects of diving too much to want to spend a lot of time doing it alone. But we're all different ... and that's why conversations like this CAN BE so helpful in understanding what motivates each of us to approach it the way we do.

Why make a controversy out of ... or feel guilty about ... a recreational activity?

For those who think solo diving is dangerous ... so is any aspect of diving if you're not properly prepared for it. Try instructing ... talk about dangerous, every time I take a class of Open Water students out I get in the water assuming I am diving with a bunch of people who are actively trying to kill me ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TSandM:
But really, I wasn't trying to say in the first post, "If you had a DIR buddy, would you still solo dive?" I meant exactly what Charlie thought I meant.

:)

Well, then you have my humble apology. Because your post meant pretty much exactly that to me when I read it. Along with the underlying, "can't you see that this is a superior way to dive? Why would you dive solo"? Hank

catherine96821:
ditto.

I never knew there were so many solo divers living quiet lives of desperation!

I, too, have wondered why there was never anybody home in the solo forum. Recently, I realized it is probably wrong for me to try and defend it in the general Scuba Discussions....just like I grew out of being so critical of DIR, but in here we could exchange ideas more freely. This may be our light bulb moment.

I solo dive often, but rarely read anything in the solo forum. I made my decisions about solo diving about 20 years ago. One of those decisions was not to encourage others to dive solo. Those who want to dive solo will do it, they don't need anyone giving them tips and pointers. If you can't figure this out by yourself, you really shouldn't be diving solo.

The other thing that came to mind is most solo divers are probably indivualists by nature. I wouldn't expect them to come looking for feedback.

I've always felt I'd be comfortable diving solo in any condition I felt qualified to dive with a buddy. This morning, for the first time, I'm starting to wonder. This weekend was one that has caused me to reflect on many things.

TSandM:
DIR has the advantage of producing divers who are going to be (if they adhere to the principles) very similar in approach and procedures....

Why do I find your choice of avatar extremely funny?

so funny. I believe I saw in another thread somebody made that avatar for TSandM ... I think she needs to watch the Star Trek movies featuring the Borg queen so she understands her new avatar a bit better... :wink:

Charlie99:
A simpler way to phrase is that both buddy diving vs. solo diving, and DIR vs non-DIR diving in many ways come down to "safest vs. safe enough".

You are making big assumptions. You are assuming DIR is safer and you are assuming having a buddy is safer. I disagree with both assumptions.

Walter:
You are making big assumptions. You are assuming DIR is safer and you are assuming having a buddy is safer. I disagree with both assumptions.
We all make assumptions, Walter ... it would be difficult (if not impossible) to have a conversation without them.

As to the above two ... agreement or disagreement would depend on the circumstances and the divers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Walter:
We do completly agree on this one.

TSandM:
It's an interesting question, whether the solo diver is actually at increased risk, and if so, how much, when compared with diving with a competent buddy. It seems intuitive that there would be some increase in risk, but it may be quite small if the circumstances are chosen properly.

It is intuitive, but that doesn't make it so. With very few exceptions, the times I've been in danger, that danger has been caused by an incompetent buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom