For Sony users!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cecil:
Don't listen to the cultists, they're like Amway salesmen, religious zealots and DIR divers. They've got to justify they existence, somehow.

Hey....watch out! All I have to do is flip one teesy little switch! :D

MacHeath:
Well after much messing around, I uploaded some photos into my gallery!!
All were taken with my trusty Sony P9. I also have a Sea&Sea DX-25 strobe and a 20mm WAL (also Sea&Sea).

Personally I don't have the problem with the photos going green.
I think the biggest problem with the P9 is actually the time it takes for the flash to recharge, many shots missed waiting for this.

Strongly thinking of upgrading to a P200, shorter cycle time for the flash, and can manually select the aperture.

Hi... I'm Ushen,

How are you doing?? Hope everything is fine and the bubbles are flowing :)

I have a few question to ask u if you dont mind... you see... I have a sony DSC-P7 digital camera with a MPK-P9 U/W housing. I also have the Sony multi stay base, arm and U/W Video Light (HVL-ML20M) ... being ignorant, i bought the video light that has not help much, therefor i would like to get a strobe and a wide angle lense. what would you suggest??

you mentioned that u intend to upgrade to the P200?? do u need a buyer for your P9?? hehehe i dont mine upgrading mine if you want to sell your P9 *hint* :p

anyway thanks alot... :)

Only kidding, Dee (well not really) :).

Pilot81, nice first effort. I see you had some issues with motion blur. Easy to do with a small camera. Two things I would recommend is get closer and concentrate on freezing with you squeeze the trigger. I hold my breath (open airway off course) and will use one finger on the coral/bottom to stabilize my body.

Ushen:
Hi... I'm Ushen,

How are you doing?? Hope everything is fine and the bubbles are flowing :)

I have a few question to ask u if you dont mind... you see... I have a sony DSC-P7 digital camera with a MPK-P9 U/W housing. I also have the Sony multi stay base, arm and U/W Video Light (HVL-ML20M) ... being ignorant, i bought the video light that has not help much, therefor i would like to get a strobe and a wide angle lense. what would you suggest??

you mentioned that u intend to upgrade to the P200?? do u need a buyer for your P9?? hehehe i dont mine upgrading mine if you want to sell your P9 *hint* :p

anyway thanks alot... :)

I suggest you buy a big strobe. The S&S YS-25 works OK, but struggles to put out enough light, especially when using the WAL since the aperture of this is not large.
The next one up (YS-60) should be much better. Also I suggest you don't get the 16mm WAL. This will have a field of view greater than the strobe's coverage, i.e. you get dark edges around the photo, (unless you get 2 strobes).

S&S also make a neat adaptor that holds both the WAL and macro lens (not at the same time!!), and also lets you attach a fibre-optic to trigger your strobe.

Not selling the P9 just yet, unless you make me a good offer!!
to be honest I don't think there is much point in you upgrading to a P9. Whilst it has a few more pixels than your camera, the vast majority of photos are not limited by the camera resolution.

Most of the time motion of the camera/subject is the limiting thing. Also, since the pixels on your camera are larger than on the P9, the performance in low light will be better on your camera.

Best to upgrade straight to P200, and take advantage of manual apertures and short shutter lag etc. I wonder if we can get a discount for 2?????? :D

MacHeath:
I suggest you buy a big strobe. The S&S YS-25 works OK, but struggles to put out enough light, especially when using the WAL since the aperture of this is not large.
The next one up (YS-60) should be much better. Also I suggest you don't get the 16mm WAL. This will have a field of view greater than the strobe's coverage, i.e. you get dark edges around the photo, (unless you get 2 strobes).

S&S also make a neat adaptor that holds both the WAL and macro lens (not at the same time!!), and also lets you attach a fibre-optic to trigger your strobe.

Not selling the P9 just yet, unless you make me a good offer!!
to be honest I don't think there is much point in you upgrading to a P9. Whilst it has a few more pixels than your camera, the vast majority of photos are not limited by the camera resolution.

Most of the time motion of the camera/subject is the limiting thing. Also, since the pixels on your camera are larger than on the P9, the performance in low light will be better on your camera.

Best to upgrade straight to P200, and take advantage of manual apertures and short shutter lag etc. I wonder if we can get a discount for 2?????? :D

hi macheath,

thanks for the info... will definitely look at the s&s strobes...

cheers

I lost my Sea&Sea 3T macro lens during a dive in Apo Island. One of the divers in the group had a maginifying glass with him and lent it to me. The picture turned out Its a cheaper alternative IMO. I attached an example of w/ magnifying glass and w/o.

I've been wanting to try that (use a manifing glass), thanks. Very cool, and easy enough to do. I'll try it out as soon as the water warms.

get one with a glass (not plastic) lens and plastic trim

I have been using my SONY TRV 785 digital video camera for three years now. It is housed in an Ikelite housing. Video taping was the easy part. Editing was the headache at first. I am now using Pinnacle software for editing. I have upgraded just about everything and I find it easy to use and fun to do!

My diving buddy (and wife) has just switch over to digital photography. I brough her the V1 with the Ikelite housing (last year). This Christmas, I gave her the 140 watt Ikelite strobe with the arm and all the items required to operate it.

I have several edited videos of Dutch Spring diving. I need to take time and edit many of my Florida Keys videos. I have about 30 tapes from three years of diving there. If anyone has an FTP site, I would be glad to up load them for all to view.

I also have a SONY laptop and the memory stick slot makes downloading shots simple. My TRV video camera also has a memory stick but the still shots are not high resolution.

I have added a pair of 40 watt HID lights for the video camera and hope to use them on a night dive or two. I find that the color correcting filter works very well in ambient day light. The sensitivity of the TRV camera adjusts very well even when diving at depths exceeding 100 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom