for newbies: places to dive in Sept/Oct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flip.flops

Registered
Reaction score
any suggestions for newbies on places to dive in southeast asia in sept/october?
i'm eyeing layang layang, or sangalaki area or manado...but not sure if i can handle it...
any tipsy tips much appreciated!

Just got my padi owd in Bali, i'm definitely hooked now...but also broke, heheh.

flip.flops:
any suggestions for newbies on places to dive in southeast asia in sept/october?
i'm eyeing layang layang, or sangalaki area or manado...but not sure if i can handle it...
any tipsy tips much appreciated!

Just got my padi owd in Bali, i'm definitely hooked now...but also broke, heheh.

Wow! You have named some of the best diving the region has! Keep in mind, though, that famous areas like these often include some challenges that are absent from many of the popular "newbie" areas (things like low viz, silty bottoms that easily get stirred up, currents, endless depths, etc.).

I have seen relatively inexperienced divers at Layang2, but unless you're very comfortable not being able to see the bottom, you might want to leave Layang2 for a future trip once you've honed your skills a bit more. The dives at Layang2 are generally deeper than recommended OW limits as they are principally wall dives. The dives at Bunaken near Manado also include many deep walls, but they are mixed with sloping reefs, so there are also some "easy" dives in the area.

For Malaysia, you might want to consider the islands of the Terengganu Marine Park--Perhentians, Redang, Lang Tengah, etc. Alternatively, think about the Gulf of Thailand, in particular the Mu Koh Chang Marine Park, where the maximum depth of the dive sites is nearly always within OW limits. Both of these areas are quite affordable.

hi flip flops, if you're residing in S'pore or Malaysia and wanna save $$, u can consider the Msia east coast islands off Mersing; Tioman, Aur, Dayang.. they're my usual weekend hopover dives when i'm kinda tight on budget &/or cant get my leave from office approved.. there's a notion that these places aren't suitable to be dived during the monsoon season, but when it comes down to it, you'd be surprised; sunny weather & calm waters right until first week of November (i can testify to this personally).. wherever you choose to dive next, dive safely & have lots of fun.. :)

wow, excellent advice! thanks Quero, ddavid. Actually I'm going to Aur this weekend, gotta hone those skills. Yeah, dive safe!
Thanks again guys

Yeeks... Aur.. remember to bring ear plugs and a jacket for those salty seaspray from the 4 hour boat ride. Watch out for coral stompers.. :)

flipflops,
congratulation on ur OWD, if you are looking to dive in bali, Sept and October is a very good time to see mola mola / oceanic sunfish. Wont do u a lot of damage on ur wallet.
But if u do manage to save some money for october trip, I can offer you to join my LOB trip to Komodo on 22-28 october.
Just make sure u have at least 20 dives by then :)
u need more info and picture of the LOB, u can email me at bodiver13@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Bodiver

Pardon my ignorance but what are "coral stompers" (some sort of disease? i have a picture in my head of divers gone crazy stomping on coral) haha

y'know, I'm actually going to be in Bali again in early August and hope to squeeze in some dives. And bodiver your LOB trip to Komodo sounds SO TEMPTING! but not likely i will have clocked 20 dives by then...thanks anyway.

gee, all these acronyms: OWD, LOB, BCD...ABC...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom