For Military---What flag is this??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost.Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I was in the Air Force, and I have slept several times since then, so when my wife asked what flag is this, I couldn't recall/answer.

How 'bout some help? Obviously, this is from Fort Hood a few days ago when President Obama attended the service. What is the light blue flag behind him and on his left? I am pretty sure that it is not the Presidential flag (darker blue), couldn't find an Army flag with those colors, not sure if it's a regional flag or not.

Sorry for the small pic, couldn't find anything larger.

Attachments

• 091110-obama-hood-hlg-3p.rp420x400.jpg
    091110-obama-hood-hlg-3p.rp420x400.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 137
It's been awhile since I was in the Air Force, and I have slept several times since then, so when my wife asked what flag is this, I couldn't recall/answer.

How 'bout some help? Obviously, this is from Fort Hood a few days ago when President Obama attended the service. What is the light blue flag behind him and on his left? I am pretty sure that it is not the Presidential flag (darker blue), couldn't find an Army flag with those colors, not sure if it's a regional flag or not.

Sorry for the small pic, couldn't find anything larger.

It looks like it might be an Air Force flag, but there isn't enough showing to be sure. I'm like you, long time ago, lots of sleep, but; Navy, soooo........:idk:

It may be the flag of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Monica

Thanks, Luckydays!

This brings up another question, is the display of this flag standard practice for a Presidential address or is it because it was a military function?

Thanks, Luckydays!

This brings up another question, is the display of this flag standard practice for a Presidential address or is it because it was a military function?

This display is not standard for the president when he speaks. I think the flags are generally arranged for the location and the intent of the speech. In the case of this picture, it was appropriate to display the Secretary of Defense Flag since I believe the Secretary spoke before the president.

There are more times that the president and other dignitaries or military officials speak without a flag than with one since most times flags are only on display for ceremonies and really special events. The flags on display are typically flags that are meaningful to that event.

President Clinton came aboard my ship when I was in the Navy and I know we displayed the Navy Flag and the US flag when he delivered his speech. Odds are that our ship flag was displayed as well but I can't remember that detail and surely am not going to dig out those pictures to check.

Long time for me too, but I am a defense contractor in Korea so I am still around the military.

The Secretary of Defense Flag is only displayed when the Secretary of Defense is there. Just like in th eold days when the General was there, his flag was out. If he wasn't there, you didn't see his flag.

Many moons ago when I was in the Army, and Clinton came to make a speech to us in front of the Wagon Wheel Theater in Baumholder before we went to Bosnia, the presidential seal wasn't put on the podium until the other dignitaries had made their speeches. Same rules of protocol apply to all general officers and honorables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom