For a good Hogarthian article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was nice to read something about Hogarthian that wasn't written by the DIR camp. No offense intended, guys.

From the article:

'The Hogarthian emphasis on both safety and efficiency – with near equal importance – is why this method of gear placement does more than any other configuration "style" to generate synergies that minimize risk and maximize efficiency simultaneously."

So has every other dive system ever created. "Emphasis on both safety and efficiency": that led to the BC vest, which led to the greatest advancement in recreational diving. The "Hog" methodology is nothing new in any way; join the Army, you'll learn Hog real well...

drm:
For a good hogarthian article written by some one who dives with Bill Main, the father of hogarthian, click here.

Dave Miner
www.divingindepth.com

Enjoyable article. Bill is a real good guy,and his mind is always thinking about streamlining and simplification. Last time we were diving he showed me he had moved to half moon d-rings and suggested where I could get them. I told him that the bigger d-ring was better when I have to carry 3 or 4 stages,which led to another discussion on carrying multiple stages. I will give you a sneak preview. The NSS-CDS annual workshop in May 2006 will be the History of Cave Diving,a goal is to do the history of Hogarthian diving with Bill.

daniel f aleman:
From the article:

'The Hogarthian emphasis on both safety and efficiency – with near equal importance – is why this method of gear placement does more than any other configuration "style" to generate synergies that minimize risk and maximize efficiency simultaneously."

So has every other dive system ever created. "Emphasis on both safety and efficiency": that led to the BC vest, which led to the greatest advancement in recreational diving.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't call something that promotes diving at a 45° (i.e. completely out of trim) a great advancement in safety, efficiency or anything else. Certainly not an advancement from the coral's perspective.

StSomewhere:
I wouldn't call something that promotes diving at a 45° (i.e. completely out of trim)
Its not the gear that does that. Its technique

StSomewhere:
I've seen our own jbd use a vest BC and get great trim, but that's only from someone who has explicitly worked on it, its not the norm. Look at any OW class.
Hence: Its not the gear that does that. Its technique

or to put it differently....If you suck with a jacket, you will suck with a BP. If your good with a BP, you will be good with a jacket.

A BP and wing doesn't provide some act of magic that makes a diver good. It may help in the initial distribution of weight, but if you know what your are doing, that can easily be solved regardless of what kind of BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom