Food walking distance from park royal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bambino77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Wife's not thrilled after reading the food reviews of ai food at park royal - can anyone recommend a decent place for lunch or dinner within walking distance of park royal?

Paprika gets good reviews & Ernesto's is popular & one of my regular stops each trip. There should be a few new ones to the south thanks to all the new store construction.

Can't beat Ernesto's or Paprika for a short walk from there. Food's just simply great at either one. Paprika can be slow, but who cares? Ernesto's might be slow, but I can't remember, due to the margaritas.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2015 at 10:13 PM ----------

Ernesto's does run out of their shrimp tacos before dinner on a regular basis, though. Worth a lunch visit, for sure.

Last edited:
Unless you are a total food snob, there is plenty of choices at the PR.....the 2 reservation places are good and the buffet is varied every night for dinner. It's not prime rib and fillets, but it isn't bad food. Some people just set their expectation level too high - IE they expect $4000+ hotel food at a $2300 hotel (2ppl for 1 week).

Regardless though, I highly encourage you to take a taxi to town several times for dinner - there are some downright awesome places to eat in town and its only a short taxi ride.......

Wife's not thrilled after reading the food reviews of ai food at park royal - can anyone recommend a decent place for lunch or dinner within walking distance of park royal?
There is a great little restaurant just up the street from PR at Blue Angel.

Paprika is horrible, Ernesto's is passable. There's also the restaurant at Casa Del Mar, that's okay but expensive for what it is. It's about a 45 minute walk into town, I'm not sure if that meets your criteria for within walking distance! I often stay very close to the park royal and I end up walking into town quite a bit, but I enjoy walking and I'm not in a hurry. The lunch choices in town are just much, much better than what I know about in the immediate area. I keep hoping something really good will open up around there. There was at one time a decent torta truck, but I haven't seen it in years.

I've had a couple of very bad experiences at Paprika, including one time where I waited 50 minutes for my food order, to find out that the waiter lost my order. Food is not bad, IF it ever gets to your table. I like Ernesto's, but it is much more of an emotional thing for me - I've been going to Ernesto's since 1990, pretty much every trip. Back then, Ernesto's was across the street from its present location (AND it had a downtown location), and was great for an early breakfast - fresh squeezed OJ and crispy hash browns with lots of onions. And the Beef Fajitas were about $5 way back then. I still like the Fajitas, Beef or Shrimp.

Other nearby options include Casa Del Mar - a pretty decent Sopa de Lima for lunch; Tikila (I don't really remember the food, but the drinks were good); Blue Angel, a bit more of a walk, but decent food; and, going South, past the International Pier, on the left going south toward Chankanaab, there's a 3 or 4 story building, Plaza 99 or something like that, that has (or at least used to have) a very decent Asian restaurant. I'm sure there are some dining options open or soon to be open in the new Shopping Center right across from the International Pier, Royal Plaza or something like that.

Frankly, most of the real good dining options for lunch or dinner are downtown - a long walk (2 miles or more) or an 80 Peso cab ride. For Lunch - El Moro on Sunday for the Cochinita Pibil, Pescaderia San Carlos for great fresh sea food, La Perlita for Lionfish (2-for-1 on Thursdays), Casa Cuzamil, Las Flamitas, Cucina Italiano Economica, Cha Cha's Kitchen, or any of several loncherias. For Dinner, La Cocay, Kinta, Kondesa, Casa Mission, Pancho's Backyard, Guido's, Rolandi's, New Especias, Del Sur Argentine Empanada's, La Terraza - so many choices. Which is exactly why I don't do AI in Cozumel.

I stay at Casa del Mar which is right next door to PR. My impression is that you can walk off the street and eat at their restaurant. They have a "sidewalk menu" out front. If you keep walking toward town, there's a restaurant on the water but I'm not sure of the name. La Hatch maybe? We ate there once and it was fine, though quite busy. I think it's about 3 or 4 blocks north of Casa del Mar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom