Food Costs in HI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all of the information that I have received so far. We would most likely be going sometime at the end of May or June as our anniversary is June 13th. Turtle Bay is kind of a compromise between my wife and I. She is a city girl from Pittsburgh and I'm just a country boy from a small town close to where Jack D. is made, so our ideas of "getting away" are rather different. She has "culturalized" me as she likes to say so my tastes have definitely changed over the past decade, but I'd prefer to keep food on a budget because I can see her at the spa often enough. Our biggest issue with food choice is I can eat seafood all day long and she won't touch it (unless it is tuna in a can...eww). Right now I'm trying to put together possible costs and make sure we have enough set aside plus a good sized buffer. The food costs just threw me back a bit but I guess I was seeing worst case scenario.

Maui is another possible choice and I'm sure as we do more research others will open up. It also seems to be the consensus to stay away from the resorts and rent a condo or something similiar. I know she won't want to cook on vacation so I may have to put the chef hat on if we go that route.....but nothing wrong with that. Another option which might make things much more reasonable is my mother has several time share points through Fairfield / RCI. She might give us the points as our aniversary gift.

My wife also mentioned a cruise, going from island to island, but I really didn't like the cruise we took a couple years ago. Also, with so many people getting viruses on the ships these days, the last thing I want to do is drop that kind of cash for a trip to be sick in bed the entire time.

darylm74:
Maui is another possible choice and I'm sure as we do more research others will open up. It also seems to be the consensus to stay away from the resorts and rent a condo or something similiar. I know she won't want to cook on vacation so I may have to put the chef hat on if we go that route.....
From the sound of what you are looking for, I'd choose Maui or the Big Island. Stay in a condo, eat out or get take-out and watch the sunset. Choices for food are better as well as better traffic conditions by far than Turtle Bay. Well, ok, traffic can be bad anywhere in Hawaii, but the North Shore on a weekend, geez........

ArcticDiver:
Caution!

We used to do this too. But we recently stayed at a hotel that electronically monitored the the bar. Anything that went out of the bar was automatically charged to your bill with no human intervention. Didn't matter if you consumed the items or not; or returned them to the bar later.

Don't know about where you are staying. But, check first.

Yes, they do that to me.

I always get my bill before I am leaving and look it over. I need that fridge badly!:D

If you have a car in Haliewa, you will have many choices. If you don't, call a cab to bring it one way is cheaper than you going both ways.

I will eat almost anything roadside in Mexico but we got very sick after eating at the shrimp truck, so I don't go there anymore. I wouldn't even blame them, but there were five of us and we all got terrible abdominal cramps about 30 minutes later. It comes with the shell on it, so I wonder if that means the GI tracts are all intact. I have no idea.

I'd choose Maui

Lahaina Shores is pretty nice....half the price. (125 for a one BR) On the beach, you can walk everywhere up to front street galleries and David Paul's, Kimos, Longhi's. Lahaina Inn upstairs from David Paul's is very nice and affordable. Turtle Bay is NICE....but ask if the construction noise is over! They are building condos over there and the last time I stayed there it was ridiculous the whine of saws and jack hammers.
I think I might agree with Maui, although I personally like living here better, with a REAL city and all.

My favorite hotel, not considering money, is the old Mandarin Hotel, in Kahala.
Those cabana chairs with the awnings and the little coolers delivered with water and frozen grapes cinch it. We go there and use it a lot, as it is near my house. Valet and split a sandwich and a drink on the beach, get validated and you have had a very nice experience for about 30 dollars, at a place that is 400 a night.

If I were you, I would check TRAVELZOO, sign up. I see airfare and top shelf hotels for fantastic prices all the time. The site scans the ten best deals being offered and sends you an e-mail. A Hawaii package is always included in the top ten.

darylm74:
...the food was very expensive. Is the food generally expensive there or is this due to the lack of restaurants in the North Shore area?

In the "For What It's Worth" department: My wife and I have found our enjoyment of vacations went up significantly when we stopped worrying about the cost of dining while traveling. We still enjoy searching out little places, but now try to do so for the adventure rather than the wallet. We found it just wasn't nearly as relaxing when we'd find a place that looked really good but would pass because of the price. In the grand scheme the difference in dining costs trying to save money is very small compared to lodging, flights, occupancy taxes, etc. - it maybe increases our vacation costs by a few %, but the happiness factor went up considerably!

darylm74:
We have decided on Oahu and would like to stay at the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore.

Anywhere in Hawaii is great. I'd go to Kauai, but have fun!

Well we went to AAA yesterday and for the first time I think my agent really had nothing to offer above what I already knew. Her suggestion was to island hope by doing one of the cruises. I did a crusie a couple years ago and was not impressed. She also suggested staying on Oahu for a few days and Big Island for a few days so that we got a bit of both worlds. This might work out best but right now it is just going to be working through the differences between my wife and I and trying to compromise on the things to do while we're there.

jeffrey-c:
In the grand scheme the difference in dining costs trying to save money is very small compared to lodging, flights, occupancy taxes, etc. - it maybe increases our vacation costs by a few %

This would be all well and good but my wife could easily spend more on dining than the cost of flight and hotel. Unfortunately her taste buds go beyond her paycheck so I have to keep the bungies pulled tight.

We generally find that most "meals" like at rest. are huge. Many times we will just split a meal or get appetizers. It helps and we don't go hungry. As far as meals only being a small % of the total cost. I think it is much higher than you think. We like to have a few "good" meals while on vacation. We can spend 1 to 200 dollars on one meal and you still have to eat again in the same amount of time as you would if you had eaten a $30.00 meal.

You can go to the grocery store and get a few things to make meals, even you have to get a 3 or 4 dollar styrafoam cooler. Most resorts can keep you in ice and they really do a good job. You can buy an cheap grill and cook out severval times also. We love the BBQ steaks and other goodies on vacation. Many places have the grills on site. Just get the charcoal.

I don't think they track you water bottles with GPS microchips and infared sensors... it's the maid that does a daily count while you're at the pool. Just tell the hotel during check-in to empty the mini fridge of all for purchase items... if they won't, tell them that you will do it yourself and will put everything back when you check out. Better yet, talk about this when making your reservations.

Darylm... Now to the Turtle Bay vacation.. if you have a car, you're not far from anything. If you don't... you're way out there and choices are limited. Without a car... this is not a compromise... your far, far from everything and the resort knows it... hence the prices. The $250 you'll spen on the car will allow you to see so much more and save money of all those taxi, shuttle, pick-up tour/activity charges. That's got to be an expensive cab ride from the airport to Turtle Bay.

Sounds like you will have more fun in Maui - Lahaina!! It has some social life and civilization, yet pretty much out there and on the down low. Or perhaps Kona on the Big Island.. same deal. What really matters is WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO IN HAWAII??? Eat, scuba dive, sit by the pool and drink, snorkle, see the lava flow, seat on a nice sandy beach, hike, go to night clubs, surf???? All these spots offer something very different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom