Food Costs in HI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I decided to visit Hawaii for our 10th wedding anniversary. We have decided on Oahu and would like to stay at the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore. We were browsing through the menus at the resort restaurants there and saw that the food was very expensive. Is the food generally expensive there or is this due to the lack of restaurants in the North Shore area? Are there other places in the North Shore to eat without having to drive to Waikiki or Honolulu to eat? If so, anyone have any suggestions?

It is generally expensive and you will be not within easy walk of cheap food on the other end of the North Shore. There are many inexpensive GREAT places to eat in Hawaii in general.

Here is a tip you might like and you might not. I do it a lot. (My daughter and I stayed in Beverly Hills this past summer and did it almost everyday because she was recovering in a hotel room)

Call a restaurant, order whatever you want, and then call a cab to pick it up. (Order someplace 5-8 dollars away) You only get charged for the one way fare, which is often less than delivery fees. Most of them don't mind at all and some places will accept a credit card over the phone, ask to speak to the manager, etc. Sometimes the cabbie just puts it on my bill. Make it easy for him and meet him on time, etc. If you find a driver that you like, just call him each time and that way you don't have to re-invent the wheel each time. JB and I even did this in Palau, when we were lazy after diving all day. Indian, Italian, you name it!

Also, I take everything out of the honor bar and put my OJ and coffee cream in there along with my leftovers from the night before.

On the North Shore, ask if places will deliver for you and eat it at the pool.

Lots of fish sandwich places, Mexican, etc at the other end of Haliewa! Turtle Bay food is kinda average, but the hotel is really nice. I love food, so I don't mind making some effort to get what I want. OH...and go to the store and buy some nice wine for your room. Almost everybody I know does this now. I can great a good bottle for 15 dollars or pay 8 dollars a glass for something I don't even like.

My favorite place up there is Kua Aina, and I like the ahi sandwich with avacado. Also, Halaiewa Joe's and Jameson's. You could make a deal for the multiple days and prepay even.

(We recently rented road bikes on Maui and made some tracks to much more of Lahaina than we would have walking.)

Aloha

Happy Anniversay! There are some more affordable, tasty places to eat in Haleiwa, which isn't too far from Turtle Bay - plus you will be close to the Shrimp farms where you can get a big plate of shrimps for 6-10 bucks. There is a grocery store at Sharks cove and one in Laie too. You'll find something without having to come all the way to "the Big City" :D Enjoy your stay!!

catherine96821:
...Also, I take everything out of the honor bar and put my OJ and coffee cream in there along with my leftovers from the night before....

Caution!

We used to do this too. But we recently stayed at a hotel that electronically monitored the the bar. Anything that went out of the bar was automatically charged to your bill with no human intervention. Didn't matter if you consumed the items or not; or returned them to the bar later.

Don't know about where you are staying. But, check first.

justleesa:
Happy Anniversay! There are some more affordable, tasty places to eat in Haleiwa, which isn't too far from Turtle Bay - plus you will be close to the Shrimp farms where you can get a big plate of shrimps for 6-10 bucks. There is a grocery store at Sharks cove and one in Laie too. You'll find something without having to come all the way to "the Big City" :D Enjoy your stay!!

Thanks....though my 10th anniversary isn't until 2008. Due to the costs, kids and our hectic work schedules, we're planning well in advance. Unfortunately my wife (as she watches me type this) is a bit on the chicken side when it comes to seafood (well she does eat a lot of chicken). I on the other-hand could eat em raw along with some sliced ginger, rice and soy sauce. Oahu is our first choice though we're thinking we might not want to be so constrictive in our choices. My issue is that I moved from the country (Tennessee) to Pittsburgh, PA and the last place I want to be on vacation is in the middle of a city. Turtle Bay resort seemed to be remote enough but yet not too far off the beaten path.

catherine96821:
OH...and go to the store and buy some nice wine for your room. Almost everybody I know does this now. I can great a good bottle for 15 dollars or pay 8 dollars a glass for something I don't even like.

This sounds like a good idea no matter where we stay. We are kind of particular about our wines so will definitely keep this in mind.

catherine96821:
(We recently rented road bikes on Maui and made some tracks to much more of Lahaina than we would have walking.)

Road bikes? As in Harleys :eyebrow: or mopeds?

Harley rental is in Waikiki...you might have to organize that :wink:

You'll enjoy Haleiwa then. Laid back, old style town with lots of art and food. If you're lucky you can see turtles on the beach. Turtle Bay has some nice horseback trails that you might enjoy and the secret beach that is also close by.

and 2 incredible golf courses (the Arnold Palmer is my favorite... thank God for military/kama'aina rates!)

Where I grew up Harley's are street bikes, vs. either dirt or trail bikes. Road bikes and mountain bikes are bicycles and very nice considering the West Maui parking situation.

Turtle Bay is one of the expensive resorts on Oahu and quite a drive from any reasonable dining. The closest eats off the grounds are the shrimp trucks to the North and the burger/fish truck at Shark's Cove. Foodland grocery store, also near Shark's Cove, is the most expensive Foodland in the chain, but the wine buyer is supplying many multi-millionairs so really good wine is often on sale (yellow tags). As far as the rest of the store goes, I only buy yellow tag items.

Haleiwa is 20 minutes from Turtle Bay, when there's no traffic. Haleiwa Joe's and Jameson's are the more expensive places, I like Joe's for happy hour. Cholo's and Breakers are mid level, with Cholo's more popular. Kua Aina and Storto's Deli are sandwich places with Storto's being healthier. There's a pizza place, another mexican place and a couple asian places, all mid to low end.

Time of year means a lot on the North Shore. It's only diveable from late spring to early fall (5 months). If you are at Turtle Bay during a winter surf contest the trafic is crazy and the diving is hours away.

Might I recommend instead of the hotel, try one of the local vacation rentals. PM me for details...I'll ask my wife the details if you are interested. They are located at the entrance of Turtle Bay. Fully furnished units, some with dishes and dishwasher, all you need to do is drop by the local mart, Costco, or Sams Club, and stock up. Feel free to spend the bucks you save on a nicer meal or two...

ArcticDiver:
Caution!

We used to do this too. But we recently stayed at a hotel that electronically monitored the the bar. Anything that went out of the bar was automatically charged to your bill with no human intervention. Didn't matter if you consumed the items or not; or returned them to the bar later.

Don't know about where you are staying. But, check first.

You may want to ask the hotel to empty the bar and then stock it yourself. I don't know how they monitor it electronically usually they use the maid. My usual trick is to buy a cheap cooler and use their ice machines. lol

Back
Top Bottom