Food Chain Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 'food chain' issue is a little off-base though. There are many things in the ocean that can kill you, but would not care to eat you (e.g. jellyfish). The few animals that actually WANT to eat you usually have no idea what you are (e.g. sharks), and usually aren't too impressed once they figure it out. In neither event does the animal go out of its way to find itself a good ol' diver snack.

So you could say that man has no natural predators, above or underwater. We're still #1... yay!

- Warren

Great White Shark
Bull Shark
Tiger Shark
Giant/Humboldt Squid
Killer Whale

I'm sure any of these would happily eat a plump, juicy human if they weren't wrapped in neoprene....and there is no way we could stop them....assuming no bang stick or another weapon...

I'm probably forgetting a few others, but that puts us AT LEAST at #6 ;-)

It can be a very personal thing.
I see a fish like a cuckoo wrasse that comes close, to greet me, it swims along with me like a stray dog going for a walk, I delight in its presence.
I see a large crab on the bottom of the seabed and the scene reminds me of large middle aged country lady with tanned and ruddy weathered features, sitting in her garden enjoying the noon day sun. There is an air of smugness as she squats there or the ground, as if everything she views is to her satisfaction.
I see a diver holding a lobster, I look at the lobster, I see a creasure that seems to smile at me, being carried off to its death.
I wrestle with a large crab that has a firm hold on the bottom it leaves its claw behind, later I see it wriggle in torment in the pot I boil it in.
I think on the meaning "He gave us dominion over them," and " That which you do to the least of them you do to me." and honestly regret my past actions.

Originally posted by budgy
I think on the meaning "He gave us dominion over them," and " That which you do to the least of them you do to me." and honestly regret my past actions.

Well put Budgy!

V.

:maniac: When you strap on your dive gear and enter the ocean, you are part of the food chain! What order depends on your dive gear. A six-foot spear gun with a power-head, large knife and a chain mill suit put you on top. Two bags of chum tied to your weight belt, no knife, no spear gun puts you low on the list.

I must add, I don’t dive with a spear gun, chain mill suit or chum and have been diving since 1964! I have not been eaten yet!
:sharky:

... Killer Whale ... I'm sure any of these would happily eat a plump, juicy human...

No recorded attacks on humans by Orcas, but then I don't have a recipe for them either.
:D
Imagine the calamari & pasta plate we could whip up with a Humboldt Squid !!:eek:ut:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/food.html

Originally posted by DEEP SEA
When you strap on your dive gear and enter the ocean, you are part of the food chain! What order depends on your dive gear. A six-foot spear gun with a power-head, large knife and a chain mill suit put you on top.
Not quite. At best, you'd be number 2, if that. Chain mail does no good against a great white that could swallow you whole. It is not considered protective against them by the people who wear it.

Wearing yum yum yellow moves you further down the chain (just kidding, Murdock325)

The following were mentioned, making humans #6
Great White Shark
Bull Shark
Tiger Shark
Giant/Humboldt Squid
Killer Whale

Giant squid can be removed from the list. They are found at depths too great for humans and only dead ones have been discovered in shallow waters.

Orcas can be removed from the list too. They don't attack humans. There has only been one case, and it was an accident, the same one that happens with great whites. An orca attacked a surf board thinking it was a seal, and the hapless surfer got a gash on one of his legs. The orca backed off and went no further. Neither surfer nor board tasted good. ;D Actually, whether people might taste good to them or not, they don't attack us.

Architeuthis, the "giant squid" and the Humboldt Squid are 2 different critters. The latter were filmed in the Gulf of Mexico recently.
I had the good fortune to be able to swap a few stories with the photographer of the National Geographic special done on them. They get downright NASTY when it came to chow time.

http://www.pbs.org/oceanrealm/producers/showscenes3.html

here's a better one: http://diver.net/seahunt/fend/f_scottc.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom