Folsom Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee

Here is a little video I made a few years ago at Folsom Lake. The best time to dive there is during the summer when the water level is high. It has better vis then and the trees(bushes) are u/w, creating a place for fish to hang out. This video was shot at Beals Point. Good parking & easy access to the water. But again the other times of the year are a mud hole!
Hope this helps.

video link- www.seawellproductions.com/files/justanotherlakedive_06web.wmv

Last edited:
Hey Rob.

I did intern in a fundies class in Folsom a while back. Not an entertaining site, but sure good enough for a class. Vis was enough for video.

Thanks Jerry, Maciek.

I dove at Negro Bar on Tuesday, well dove is very strong statement. I did PADI rescue class (moving from SSI to PADI and had to redo this class as part of DM program) there and except funny strong current while towing other diver (there is not much current at the bottom), visibility around 20 feet and colder water, it was nothing special.

I liked the video. What editing software do you use?

I'm glad you liked the video. I used Pinnacle editing software. It has worked well for me in the past.

I prefer Beals Point when the waters up. As mentioned before there are submerged trees (still standing with leaves) that attract fish. a boulder field to explore. Do use a flag and float as the jet ski traffic can be significant in the summer. nothing to great to speak of but a nice afternoon in the water when you don't want to dedicate time and money to a trip to Monterey.

Folsom point always has depth, unless the waters real low (winter) This was where Mike referred to the hill and muddy beach area. worst I've ever seen that day Mike.

I did my checkout dives at Folsom point. You shoulda seen it: 15 or so OW students churning up that muddy bottom. What a nightmare. Might as well have put duct tape over our masks.

Thanks for sharing the video! I was actually surprised at how good the visibility was during the dive. I've done a handful of similar dives with much less visibility.

Also, great job on composing the video. The music works well and the cross dissolves work well. Good stuff.

I have never dove Folsom Lake but in my opinion anytime you get to splash it's a worthwhile dive. Some dives may be better than others but I've never come home from a dive trip wishing I hadn't done the dive no matter what the conditions were.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom