Folding your octo hose, harmful to the hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen some people who fold their octo over and tuck in their BC in different places. I just saw a BC (Dimension i3) that has a special pocket designed to do that. I would think that would be harmful for the hose, and weaken it at the bend. Is that not the case?

If its a standard hose you probably should not kink it enough to cause crinkles in the skin or structure of it... if its myflex or similar they can bend quite well without harm, neither of which you should "fold". As for "octo pockets" all I have seen, including the dimension I3, do not create a that sharp or harmful of a bend... on the other hand bending and stuffing a hose into a D ring is probably hard on the hose as well as possible entrapment not allowing for easy deployment in an OOA. YMMV.

I've seen regs wrapped in circles--don't think it hurts. But I wouldn't actually "fold" the hoses.

Hoses should be "rolled" not folded which will cause the hose to kink.

Should be fine---just don't occlude it in any way.......

I have a Dimension with the Octo Pocket, and it does not require the hose to be bent (meaning folded to a point that is resulting in a crease). It does bend, but not nearly enough to cause a crease.

I don't have the specification but perhaps aside from the high flex hoses I have to believe that jamming the typical LP hose into a D ring violates the minimum bend radios. It's a laminated structure and the layers only have so much freedom, after that something is stressed. Deployment is also sketchy.

I've seen several folks doing this. It doesn't seem to create problems so immediately that a link can without arguement be made, but I have to strongly suspect it's bad for the usuable life and reliability of the hose.
My dad would have said to err on the side of caution...

I've often wondered about that myself. I never fold any of my hoses... just use keepers to make sure they are out of the way and not dragging across the reef.

Used to make a loop and poke it through slice of bicycle tire tube around bcd shoulder strap, didn't think poking it through a D ring was a great idea. (I also tried find specs on minimum bend radius) Now I use an octo keeper-like an old school snorkel keeper but yellow with square loop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom