Fogging in the lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fooks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a bonica snapper camera. Whenever i go to take it in the water on a hot day the area around the lense fogs and the pictures turn out crappy. :fury: Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I tried keeping it out of direct sunlite before each dive so that this doesnt happen but still haven't had any luck. Please if someone has any ideas im listening.

Hello,

Fogging occurs when a temp change is present. I.e. cold lens in a hot day. What I do is keep the cameras out about 30-60 mins BEFORE using them, let them warm up. ALSO if you store your film in the freezer/fridge you will need to let it warm up about 60 mins BEFORE using it. If you have detachable lens covers/filters/etc.. then you may want to remove them.

Also remember air temp vs water temp may cause some problems to.

Ed

Where I dive the temp of the water is way colder than the camera. But i never thought to store it in a fridge or maybe the cooler till I get to the site. Does keeping the camera cool damage it?

Hello,

Not keeping the camera in the fridge but the FILM.

Ed

I have had similar problems with all of my housed cameras. What is happening is that you have moisture trapped in the housing and when it starts to cool, it condenses where it is the coolest (the lenses are made thinner so it starts there first). What works for me is to use a small portable hair dryer to dry out the interior of the housing and camera before I close it up. You need to fully warm the camera and housing (without getting it hot) to chase out the moisture. I carry along a little $3.99 hair dryer with me on all of my dive trips.

Just my $.02

Ray

Would it be bad for the camera if i leave it in a cooler before each dive (not an ice packed cooler or anything)? The condensation is definatly the problem, but usually when we going diving its 82 f air temp and the water temp is about 39-40 f. So that camera boils in the case before the dive and then when it gets into the water it fogs right up. I was also wondering if the idea of putting defogger and toothpaste on masks to stop fogging would work with the camera case?

Hello,

OK here's what you do :wink: you goto wall mart/target/k-mart/etc.. and get one of those green 10gallon tubs w/ a lid. Before you leave the dock you fill it up with FRESH CLEAN WATER. Gear up your camera and soak it in the tub on the way to the dive site. Take it out to shoot and put it back in to rince it off. After it's rinced off, clean the outside with a white towel, towel your upper body dry then change film. Then put the SEALED camera back INTO the rince tank. Keep it in the freshwater between dives and you'll NEVER have fogging again.

BTW the green tanks are like $8 and use the water hose at the docks. Will save you a ton of $ in the long run as saltwater will end up damaging the o-rings and other parts of the camera.

Ed

Hello,

Just rem. this is YOUR personal rince tank, it's not ment to put mask, snorkels, fins, spearguns, etc.. in. And do NOT let anyone else use it. The less that goes into it the cleaner the water is.

The last time someone put something in my rince tank I threw it (their mask/snorkel) over board. The boat crew will tell you they have a 'rince tank' but people will put trash in it, spit in it, rince their equipment in it, put dead fish in it and the like. Plus you don't know what chemicals are in/on the bucket.

I have 2 HUGE white towels I use exclusivly for my camera and have 2 t-shirts in my bag to clean the o-rings every day while diving. for transportation I will wrap my cameras in the towels and put in the rince tank along with my camera bags and film.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom