flying with cannister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im going to take my cannister light with my carrion luggage. has anyone travel with them on the plane ? I take my BP/W and regs with me as carrion on the plane on diving trips but the cannister battery looks like a bomb.I dont anticipate any problems taking it with me on the plane but just wondering if anyone else has flown with them.

Yeah no worries just don't let TSA drop it. I usally carry on regs, computer and light...the rest gets checked

I'm sorry, but the concept of a backplate and wing as carrion makes me wonder what kind of creature killed it in the first place . . . :D

I'm sorry, but the concept of a backplate and wing as carrion makes me wonder what kind of creature killed it in the first place . . . :D

Nice catch I missed that one the first time around.

As far as taking the light on the plane, make sure that the battery is disconnected. In my case I simply place the unplugged battery back in the canister. Leave the lid somewhat loose as pressure changes between your departure point, points on the journey, and your final destination might make a sealed vessel extremely difficult to open.

The TSA screeners see lots of strange stuff, you might want to let them know just what is in the bag before it slides through the scanner. If you are asked to step aside while they do a hand search remember, and this is important, you are not allowed to touch your own bags once you surrender them, at least not until the point when they return the bags to you.

Dive gear is not uncommon, but canister lights are still fairly rare. Be patient and allow plenty of extra time. Air travel sucks, I am on a plane every couple of weeks. :)

Mark Vlahos

Im going to take my cannister light with my carrion luggage. has anyone travel with them on the plane ? I take my BP/W and regs with me as carrion on the plane on diving trips but the cannister battery looks like a bomb.I dont anticipate any problems taking it with me on the plane but just wondering if anyone else has flown with them.

I tried to take 2 Canister batteries through security at Seattle airport earlier this year, as well as 2 24W video lights and 1 18W light in my carryon.

I shut down the security line for 30 mins while they called out the bomb squad.
THen they grilled me for a while (the bomb squad guy seemed a bit unhappy when I offered to show him the light working :)

THen they photographed my Drivers license, took photos of *all* my carryon luggage piece by piece and had me fill out a "TSA security form"

so I find it hard to recommend trying to carry on thr batteries (the machine is not strong enough to see through them) -- check those.

I tried to take 2 Canister batteries through security at Seattle airport earlier this year, as well as 2 24W video lights and 1 18W light in my carryon.

I shut down the security line for 30 mins while they called out the bomb squad.
THen they grilled me for a while (the bomb squad guy seemed a bit unhappy when I offered to show him the light working :)

THen they photographed my Drivers license, took photos of *all* my carryon luggage piece by piece and had me fill out a "TSA security form"

so I find it hard to recommend trying to carry on thr batteries (the machine is not strong enough to see through them) -- check those.
Sounds like a great story to tell the grandkids. :wink:

Legal and possible are two different things.

If you get a grumpy TSA agent, you might find that you have the choice of tossing your lights in the trash or not flying.

Terry

Sartek supplies Product data sheets and Battery Material Safety information to their customers so that it can be packed with the light system so that any luggage inspector will know what the product is and that it meets Airline Safety Regulations, as well as, containing manufacturer contact information in case there are other questions.

Carl

well , I sort of figure that I might create a problem. Im just taking my regular light.I bought it to use on the wrecks here in Miami so no big deal.the last thing I need is to make a choice of not flying or throwing it in the garbage.
thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom