flying with canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have seen older posts on this subject - but what is the latest info in regards to the battery? Is it best to check the batter (and hope TSA doesn't do something stupid and dispose of it) or carry it on and explain what it is? I was unsure of the new regs on batteries and flying

I've always carried on with no issue. I do let the TSA agent working the scanner know that I'm passing through with dive equipment. Often they'll swab test the light, but other than that, no additional hassle.

I have seen older posts on this subject - but what is the latest info in regards to the battery? Is it best to check the batter (and hope TSA doesn't do something stupid and dispose of it) or carry it on and explain what it is? I was unsure of the new regs on batteries and flying

Airlines DO NOT cover electronic equipment if lost so........ I always carry mine. Always get searched, but never had any other problems.

I flew from Miami to Austin in January. I wasn't 100% sure so I asked the lady at the check-in counter who got a supervisor. They told me that it could not go into my luggage. The supervisor told me that it has the shape of a bomb and if found in the luggage the plane would not be allowed to leave the tarmac. This sounded pretty extreme to me.
I was told I would need to put it in my carry-on, but I had to remove the battery.

Quote from the TSA site, TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage - not in your checked baggage! In the cabin, flight crew can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur.

If you must carry a battery-powered device in any baggage, package it to prevent inadvertent activation. For instance, you should pack a cordless power tool in a protective case, with a trigger lock engaged. If there is an on-off switch or a safety switch, tape it in the "off" position.

Last month I was flying from Hong Kong to Manila and had my can light in my carry on baggage with the battery disconnected from the light head. I had to go through a lot of trouble at the x-ray machine as the security people didn't seem to have seen a can light before and had all kinds of suspision despite I explained to them the battery used was just normal rechargable NiMH batteries bundled together.

They detained me for about 15 minutes at the security until approval was given from the airline.

My friends on the same flight all had their can lights in the check-in baggage and none of them had any problem.

I've flown both domestically and internationally to Cozumel with my light. I put it in my cary on and every time I've gotten my bag checked going through security. Like Rainer said, often times they will swab it but that's about it. I do keep a printout from the website with the description in the bag but haven't had to show it to anyone yet. Besides that it's smooth flying.

My guess is that your experiences will be quite random, based on the location, airport and particular TSA agent you happen to draw.

They're usually somewhat concerned by the pipe-bomb look of the thing, but when you explain that it's scuba equipment, they typically relax. I've flown with a big 13.5AH canister several times, and while it always gets examined (because the big SS plate it's packed with rejects their x-ray attempts), I've never had any problems.

I have yet to meet a TSA agent who is aware of what Li-ion is or what the policies are regarding different battery chemistries.

Except for LAX, I have never had any trouble carrying on my lights & batteries. I keep the battery & light head on opposite ends of the bag. I also keep the owner's manual right close for their reference. The TSA officer at LAX claimed to be a diver & said he had never seen a diving light like that & that the light & battery in the same bag within my reach "could" pose a danger from the heat generated if the battery got connected to the light (like I would want to ruin a $600 light):rolleyes:, so I was forced to have it checked. Other than that, I have had no problems. I usually tell the x-ray operator ahead, that there is a large battery in the case so that they are not completely surprised.

Mine was examined several time on my trip to Egypt, including at the Cairo airport on the way home. They were so focused on it neither they - nor I - realized that I also had a titanium dive knife, a large Z-knife, and a pair of trauma sheers in the same carry-on bag.

About halfway through the 10-hr flight I was rummaging through the bag to get something out and found them in a Miflex dry-bag tucked in a pocket.

Yikes!

Back
Top Bottom