flying with canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine was examined several time on my trip to Egypt, including at the Cairo airport on the way home. They were so focused on it neither they - nor I - realized that I also had a titanium dive knife, a large Z-knife, and a pair of trauma sheers in the same carry-on bag.

About halfway through the 10-hr flight I was rummaging through the bag to get something out and found them in a Miflex dry-bag tucked in a pocket.

Yikes!

:rofl3:

I have never an issue other than an occasional swab. OTOH, they X-rayed baggage leaving Cancun airport on this trip and had me tear my whole checked bag apart so they could gaze at my SS BP in wonder. This was the first time I've ever had baggage inspected leaving the airport. I'll update this if there are problems when I return next week.

I flew from Miami to Austin in January. I wasn't 100% sure so I asked the lady at the check-in counter who got a supervisor. They told me that it could not go into my luggage. The supervisor told me that it has the shape of a bomb and if found in the luggage the plane would not be allowed to leave the tarmac. This sounded pretty extreme to me.
I was told I would need to put it in my carry-on, but I had to remove the battery.
I don't know where the person at check-in got their information, but it's utter nonsense. I fly with stuff like that all the time for work in my checked luggage. The worst thing that happens is TSA inspects the bag and leaves a note. It happens every time I fly, which is every month. They've certainly never kept the plane on the ground because of it.

It's probably easier to carry on but then again, dealing with security lines and TSA agents directly may not be worth it. And of course, YMMV and all that applies. Easiest thing to do is be available to answer questions about it and try not to be cranky when they ask them.

JoeyP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom