Flying with a JJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tribal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

If everything goes according to plan, I’ll travel to Florida next spring.
It will be my first time flying with a rebreather.

Are there people who have a nice way to transport a JJ?
Most info I can find is like 8 years old, so I’m wondering if it’s still relevant or if there are better ways.

Thanks a lot!

I flew to the canary islands with the JJ two days ago and it was no problem. The JJ-Can without stand packs nicely in a North-Face Hardcase(30 inch version). I just removed the head, the counter lungs, the loop and the stand. If you lay it in with your backplate on one side and on the other side you put some clothing it can't move an inch in it. Stand, handle and loop go in a second baggage and Counter lungs and the head go in the hand luggage, even tho they probably will be fine in the checked in luggage I feel more comfortable with them in my hand luggage. At the security check I put everything out in advanced, they probably will be curious and had to check it, but having a flyer of the JJ helped a lot to get it cleared fast, but still, be prepared to spend some time at the security check.

I’ve been flying with mine in a Pelican 1535 Air, which is the maximum carryon size. The canister with head in fits perfectly lengthwise and my BOV, travel stand, handle, loop hoses, and some small odds and ends fit alongside. Counterlungs, wing, regs, and light fit in my backpack so I can carry on the entire unit and keep my checked bags under the weight limit. The TSA usually does a secondary screening but hasn’t been any trouble other than the time an agent unpacked everything to measure a box wrench I carry for the stand bolts. 🙄 They lose interest as soon as I tell them it’s diving equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_2343.jpeg
    IMG_2343.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 195
I flew to the canary islands with the JJ two days ago and it was no problem. The JJ-Can without stand packs nicely in a North-Face Hardcase(30 inch version). I just removed the head, the counter lungs, the loop and the stand. If you lay it in with your backplate on one side and on the other side you put some clothing it can't move an inch in it. Stand, handle and loop go in a second baggage and Counter lungs and the head go in the hand luggage, even tho they probably will be fine in the checked in luggage I feel more comfortable with them in my hand luggage. At the security check I put everything out in advanced, they probably will be curious and had to check it, but having a flyer of the JJ helped a lot to get it cleared fast, but still, be prepared to spend some time at the security check.
More importantly, what is there to dive CCR in the canary islands and who did you go with :)

I have a fairly large hard sided piece of checked rolling luggage that take the can (with the scrubber in it), counterlungs, backplate, wing and loop. I also carry a lot of camera equipment, so I have a large ThinkTank carryon bag. That gets the head, regulators, controller and NERD. And I put the this note in the checked bag for the TSA, with my cell phone number. Have done this a number of times, no problems.

carryon.JPG
tsa.jpg

I have put the head (with screw on protector) in my carry-on (backpack), and everything else into a conventional checked roller suitcase without trouble and just under 23kg/50lb with a bit of extras like the bailout reg.

Recently I got a Pelican Air 1606 for the same config but with a bit more strength. But I need to disassemble the stand and handle, and the backplate goes in a different bag. I replaced the stand nuts with compact 316 stainless metric wingnuts for convenience.

If you're not in a drysuit then I recommend leaving the steel plate at home and traveling/diving with the Halcyon carbon composite plate.

I have a fairly large hard sided piece of checked rolling luggage that take the can (with the scrubber in it), counterlungs, backplate, wing and loop. I also carry a lot of camera equipment, so I have a large ThinkTank carryon bag. That gets the head, regulators, controller and NERD. And I put the this note in the checked bag for the TSA, with my cell phone number. Have done this a number of times, no problems.
Have you ever been phoned?

I use a Pelican 1607 with the stand removed.
20210117_160205.jpg

I carry the head on-board in a 1535 with the regs and computer. The 1535 is rugged enough that I don't worry about the head too much if I get ramp checked.
A Pelican 1637 will carry it without disassembly, but weight issues make that unfeasible for air travel.

Back
Top Bottom