Flying after Lobstering...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I wanna go lobster diving on Sunday night. A mighty 20' max for like an hour or so.

I'm flying out to Atlanta Monday morning.

That gives me an "out of water" before flying of about 11 hours or so.

But I was rooting around at 15 - 20 feet... think there'll be a problem?

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I wanna go lobster diving on Sunday night. A mighty 20' max for like an hour or so.

I'm flying out to Atlanta Monday morning.

That gives me an "out of water" before flying of about 11 hours or so.

But I was rooting around at 15 - 20 feet... think there'll be a problem?

---
Ken
Dive with some 36% or some other rich mixture. It will be like diving 5-10' above sea level! :wink:

Dude, it says "at least 12 hours" before flying !! Not 11. TWELVE !!! Personally, I think you're totally screwed if you do it. :D

In all seriousness, it's all a crapshoot anyway. Though I think one factor to consider is the duration of the dive. If you are staying under for a longer time you are getting your "slow" tissues pumped up with nitrogen, and by definition the slow tissues will then take longer to offgas than if you were going deeper but for a shorter interval. So a shorter dive, in which your tissues will offgas more quickly while you're sleeping, might be a little better.

In any case, it's all a roll of the dice, so I don't think there's a right answer.

The EAD for EAN36 at 30fsw is -8'. That's 8' above sea level. For all intents and purposes, it's not really even considered a dive as far as nitrogen loading is concerned.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong :06:

Dude, it says "at least 12 hours" before flying !! Not 11. TWELVE !!!
For a new diver, this is a very good, conservative rule.

For a more experienced diver with access to the NOAA manual and enough savy to follow the logic...

Their manual starts at 40 ft:

Up to 50 minutes at 40 ft yields their Group F > 9:43 SI indicated before flying.

Up to 70 minutes at 40 ft yields their Group G > 12:05 SI indicated.

15-20 feet? I think you are looking at a negligible effect, but I would keep in mind - well hydrated, no exercise following, etc.

The EAD for EAN36 at 30fsw is -8'. That's 8' above sea level.
Huh? :confused: My old Padi EAD chart gives 36% Nx at 30 feet > 18 EAD;
36% NX at 20 feet > 10 feet.

Personally, I think your biggest concerns are drying your hair after diving so you don't get chilled, and wearing seat belt on the hiway. :wink:

DandyDon:
Huh? :confused: My old Padi EAD chart gives 36% Nx at 30 feet > 18 EAD;
36% NX at 20 feet > 10 feet.
Fuzzy math! :D

My calcs were off and I forgot to add 1 ATA but remembered to subtract it :06:

Hello:

I would doubt that there would be a dive/fly problem with that depth and surface duration. The NOAA manual cited above gives the numerical answer.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr Deco:
Hello:

I would doubt that there would be a dive/fly problem with that depth and surface duration. The NOAA manual cited above gives the numerical answer.

Dr Deco :doctor:
I appreciate this is an old thread, but if you guys are still reading I thought I'd pass on something I learned a few years ago about flying after diving.

Several years ago I spent a wonderful couple of weeks diving with my wife around the Philippines as a matching pair of newly-minted OW divers. At the time we were diving pretty hard - three times a day every day and finishing each day at pressure group T to X. We enjoyed every minute of it.

A couple of days before the end of the diving trip, we spoke to the pro at the resort about our plans to fly back out to the real world. We knew that PADI recommends leaving 12 hours from dive to fly, and that we should leave a "longer" interval after mulitple dives. But how long is a piece of string?

On the advice of the local Padi pro, we cut it less than 24 hours. After a short delay getting started for the last two morning dives of the trip, we left the water at 1155 hours at pressure group X, and boarded a B-737 flight to Manila at 1000 hrs the following morning.

I have to say I was a bit apprehensive as we climbed out of the circuit on the 737 the next morning at Balicasag, and I tuned my watch to show local (cabin) pressure altitude on the short hop to Manila. At cruising altitude, my watch showed a cabin altitude of just over 7000', which is normal for an aircraft of this class. About 20 minutes into the flight, I started feeling occasional stabbing muscle pains like I was just coming down with a flu. (You know like someone's jabbed a needle into your thigh, then a few minutes later another stab into your arm. And so on.) There was random itchiness too, but nothing severe.

Then, half-way through the flight I felt a rush of tingles up the inside of my neck like a spider was tap dancing on the back of my head. At that point I said to my wife that if I happen to keel over, she should mention to the hostess that we had been diving and O2 would be a good thing to stick on my face.

Anyway, eventually we descended, landed in Manila and checked into our hotel. That night after dinner it was still playing on my mind, and I asked my wife if she had experienced any unusual symptoms on the flight or since then. She said she had tingles, random pains, and a feeling of bubbles running up her neck on the flight. And, yes, she was very worried about them too but didn't say anything at the time. (Women are braver, aren't they?)

Neither of us suffered any ill-effects apart from the sharp pains, itchiness and sensations of neck discomfort in flight, and I've been diving every week for a few years ever since, again with no problems.

But, since this incident I've read a bit more about flying after diving, and it seems no-one is prepared to say with any authority what is a safe interval to leave before flying after diving to what level of saturation.

For me, I've learned my lesson and I will never, ever fly again within 24 hours of diving. I still don't know whether it was some form of incipient DCS we suffered on board, or whether it was a mild flu that didn't take (on both of us and within half an hour of each other?), but I just won't risk it again.

From now on, it's at least 24 hours for me and preferably 48 hours if we've been diving hard.

Do you think that your mind may simply have been amplifying normal sensations because of your apprehension/nervousness? Things would likely be tingling occasionally while sitting still on a long airplane ride, and one's mind doesn't need much stimulus to take random nerve impulses and turn them into symptoms.

I suppose a related question is whether any DCS victims have ever actually 'felt bubbles' anywhere, aside from excruciating joint pain and all the other obvious effects.

No, you can not actually feel bubbles under normal scuba diving conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom