Fly the Cattle Cars of United!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey... The $2 charge is ONLY at DIA, as far as I've seen... Can't you go to the first class counter and check in there for free? There's never a line at the first class/premier counter.

I understand it's the W&C, but really, I think that most airlines suck, and it's just a fact of life. FWIW - Ted (the *ss end of United) is the cheapest airline for me to fly to Fort Lauderdale... and they go directly there.

dannobee:
I seriously doubt it, as all it takes to get a 70 lb bag through is more money. If it was an OSHA requirement, they'd make you put it in another bag. It's all about squeezing every last cent out of you. Remember when airlines routinely fed you on practically every flight? Or when you actually had ROOM in your seat?

People are so bloody greedy...

I'm honestly suprised the airlines can survive, let alone feed me. Ever since deregulation, they've been going bankrupt left and right. I can fly across country for under $200, but driving would cost me far more than that in gas alone. Do they even break even on a half-full flight of 3000 miles when everyone kicked in $200? And now you want them to haul around your bag no matter how heavy it is and how much nonsense you want to bring on your vacation?? Please...

It amazes me when people ***** about planes and tiny little $25 charges when they are getting transported all over the world for what amounts to a trifling cost. Wait 20 years and see how much you have to ***** about...like no airlines still being able to survive and no jet fuel left to put in them. This whole jet set lifestyle is going to come tumbling down, and before that, air travel will get a LOT more expensive than it is now. $25 won't mean a thing. If you need to bring 70 pound bags, then it might just cost you a bit more. Deal with it.

I only get to fly once or twice a year. And I can honestly say that I didn't know that they changed the weight limit to 50 lbs until I tried to leave San Francisco. It wasn't posted any where. The nasty lady told me it was a 50 lbs. limit. Shouldn't it be posted somewhere on the website. (And not in fine print.)

That is the reason I was so pizzed. "Cough up" is a good term. If they asked for more money when I bought the ticket I would have either paid it or rearranged my luggage. It is being in the "cough-it-up" situation that caused my rebellion.

benncool:
I only get to fly once or twice a year. And I can honestly say that I didn't know that they changed the weight limit to 50 lbs until I tried to leave San Francisco. It wasn't posted any where. The nasty lady told me it was a 50 lbs. limit. Shouldn't it be posted somewhere on the website. (And not in fine print.)

That is the reason I was so pizzed. "Cough up" is a good term. If they asked for more money when I bought the ticket I would have either paid it or rearranged my luggage. It is being in the "cough-it-up" situation that caused my rebellion.

Weight size restrictions for UAL

What's the big deal? 50 lbs is enough. My dive gear (including the ss bp)weighs only about .....30? So that's plenty of weight left for my two T shirts and two pairs of shorts.

I have my Premier Exec with United and prefer to fly with them. Name an airline that hasn't had problems. TJ, you get three bags to 70 pounds with your PE privileges, get to go through the first class/premier lines and have the extra leg room in the choice seating. Occasionally the ticket agents need to be educated as to the PE benefits, but it's as good as any other airline I've flown. I fly on average of twice a month and have had better service out of them and more comfortable flights than with any of the other airlines, except maybe JetBlue, but they don't service nearly the regions that I have to visit.

The rules use to be $80 (if I remember right) for a bag over 70 lbs and changed to $25 for 50 to 100 lbs, except for the PE/first class passengers, which are rewarded for loyalty with the higher limits. I travel often with over 200 pounds of equipment including dive gear and have little to no problems with it. I'd much rather pay the $25.

What bugs me the most are the inconsiderate passengers that think they can carry all their stuff on board and pack the overheads when the flight is full. And before you get on the plane you have to sit and listen to them b**ch at the ticket agents about all the rules that we all have to live by in today's day and age of air transportation. If I were an airline employee, I'd have one bad attitude, but for the most part, I'm greeted with a smile and a thank you. I find that the way you are treated is a reflection of the way you treat others.

Think about it, you get taken to somewhere you want to go, sitting in a piece of high tech, very expensive equipment that travels just short of the speed of sound, that's burning over $1000 in fuel a minute (just a guess), and you're complaining about what?

Pack right, prepare to pay for the extras, know the rules, be polite and stop b**ch'n about it, because I might be the one that has to sit next to you. I had to go through the same thing and I don't want to hear about it...

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it...

howarde:
Um... Yes. Unless you buy a FULL FARE ticket, there is usually a $100 cancel/change fee, which is clearly disclosed at the time of purchase.

Umm... That's my point.

THEY DIDN'T LET ME CANCEL/CHANGE MY TICKET!!!

I'd have been happy to pay a $100 fee to change my ticket. They didn't let me. If I had been smart enough to fly SouthWest, I would have been able to make changes.

And regardless, it's still gouging.

I work for Frontier Airlines on the ramp and some of the weight limits have to do with weight and balance of the plane itself. I agree that the airline industry in general sucks, but I also agree that an extra heavy bag should include an extra fee. Loading 100 plus bags in the bin of an aircraft while sitting on your knees is not the easiest task in the world.

huskychemist:
Umm... That's my point.

THEY DIDN'T LET ME CANCEL/CHANGE MY TICKET!!!

I'd have been happy to pay a $100 fee to change my ticket. They didn't let me. If I had been smart enough to fly SouthWest, I would have been able to make changes.

And regardless, it's still gouging.

Just a question... Who did you ticket through?

mntdiver:
Just a question... Who did you ticket through?

Through the United Vacations Website...found price on-line, then paid for it over the phone directly with them.

Back
Top Bottom