Fly the Cattle Cars of United!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone ever wonder why they set those restrictions? Do you think it could have something to do with disability insurance and the people handling the bags weighting 50+ pounds all day long?

UPS has a rule that if the package is over 70 lbs they require two people to pick-up, let alone move the package around, and deliver it.

Oh we were over 50 lbs. on one trip, I quickly coughed up the extra money and went on our merry way to security.

Peter_C:
Anyone ever wonder why they set those restrictions? Do you think it could have something to do with disability insurance and the people handling the bags weighting 50+ pounds all day long?

I seriously doubt it, as all it takes to get a 70 lb bag through is more money. If it was an OSHA requirement, they'd make you put it in another bag. It's all about squeezing every last cent out of you. Remember when airlines routinely fed you on practically every flight? Or when you actually had ROOM in your seat?

I was talking with Hawaiian Airlines this morning, and due to the fact my first flight would be international - my second domestic flight would be classes as international as well. Translation? 2 bags 70pounds allowance. BUT with Scuba gear - you have to pay $80 and you can't class a wetsuit as Scuba gear. /boggle
My own translation? Put it all in my one bag and not tell a soul. /shhhhhh
Pas

I had trouble with United Vacations also. I had a family trip planned, and had to cancel. Their customer service regarding cancellation was horrible, and they had no sympathy for an entire family being sick (sinus infections and pneumonia) and unable to fly.

I don't recommend United Vacations for this reason, and will likely never fly them again.

I flew my dive gear to New York last Christmas break, and didn't have any trouble. I didn't pack my weights...and spread my gear out in "non-dive-bag" types of bags. Nothing over 50 pounds.

The only argument I've heard against charging is calibration of scales (e.g. same bag weighing different amounts on different scales).

My $.02

huskychemist...

I frequently fly on united, and as with any airline, the policy on cancelation is generally not sympathetic to excuses... They all tell the cancelation policy up front. If someone chooses not to read the policy, that doesn't exempt them for a hardship.

Also... Those scales at the counter - well... in most states, they have the certified stamp from that states weights and measures bureau, so they're certified...

Honestly Benncool... The 50 LB limit on domestic US carriers changed about 3 years ago. If you fly on an airline, you should KNOW their policy about baggage before you fly. I understand this is whine and cheese here, but it's your own fault, and you shouldn't blame the airline for charging you $25

howarde,

So I have to PAY for the right to cancel, up front? Gouging is the word that comes to mind.

Scenario 1: So if I don't buy the "insurance", but have to cancel, they make extra money.

Scenario 2: If I buy the "insurance" and actually fly, they make extra money.

Scenario 3: If I buy the "insurance" and cancel, they don't have to pay somebody to be bumped from an over-booked flight. So they save money there, and get money from my insurance. So they make extra money.

Why not just have a fee to change the flight? Other airlines do that. That's why I won't fly with them again. I'll fly the airlines that let me make changes for a fee.

As I see it, in all the scenarios above, I pay extra, and/or lose out. Not sure how that's cool. Maybe I'm missing something.

I have to chime in here. I am a Premier Executive on United and I fly a lot. I am so tired of the crap the airlines are putting us through and the nickle and diming that is going on. I would also say that United is at the front of this line and I am very frustrated with the crap they are doing from the weight limits, which by the way is fuel related, to the restrictions on changing flights to the buying the crappy boxed lunch for $12 to the lack of United cancelling most of their flights into the caribbean and limiting how and where I can use my 200k of miles a year.

I spend between 20 and 30k a year flying them and I am greeted with tighter seating, no seats to use my miles and having to beg for the smallest amount of customer service or ease of flying when sometimes I practically live there. At some point I am sure they will all start getting better but since 911, I absolutely hate waking up in the morning to go.

If we could only get Southwest to start flying into the Caribbean.....teach them all a lesson.

Ok, I don't feel better but had to say it.

A buddy of mine was heading to Jamaica for a dive trip, he called and verified the weight allowance. 2 bags, 70 lbs each checked. He got one bag to 68 pounds, the other to 63 pounds..... so he dropped 4 pounds of trim weights in the lighter bag!

huskychemist:
howarde,

So I have to PAY for the right to cancel, up front? Gouging is the word that comes to mind.

Scenario 1: So if I don't buy the "insurance", but have to cancel, they make extra money.

Scenario 2: If I buy the "insurance" and actually fly, they make extra money.

Scenario 3: If I buy the "insurance" and cancel, they don't have to pay somebody to be bumped from an over-booked flight. So they save money there, and get money from my insurance. So they make extra money.

Why not just have a fee to change the flight? Other airlines do that. That's why I won't fly with them again. I'll fly the airlines that let me make changes for a fee.

As I see it, in all the scenarios above, I pay extra, and/or lose out. Not sure how that's cool. Maybe I'm missing something.

Um... Yes. Unless you buy a FULL FARE ticket, there is usually a $100 cancel/change fee, which is clearly disclosed at the time of purchase.

TJ - don't you always get those nice economy plus seats? United is no worse than anyone else. Have you ever flown southwest? You wouldn't be able to enjoy the benefits of your premier status with SW. You'd have to wait in the long lines, push to board the place to get a decent seat even.

howarde:
Um... Yes. Unless you buy a FULL FARE ticket, there is usually a $100 cancel/change fee, which is clearly disclosed at the time of purchase.

TJ - don't you always get those nice economy plus seats? United is no worse than anyone else. Have you ever flown southwest? You wouldn't be able to enjoy the benefits of your premier status with SW. You'd have to wait in the long lines, push to board the place to get a decent seat even.

First of all, remember this is the whine and cheese so I am taking the opportunity.

I live in Denver and we have been abused with outrageous prices for flights because we have been pretty much locked into United regardless of where you want to go. Many of the lower cost airlines have been kept out of DIA due to the extremely high gate fees and the preferential treatment that United has been given by Colorado. Much of this changed when United went into Chapter 13 (I think) and they eliminated almost 50% of their flights worldwide after 911. This has finally allowed some decent competition in the area and amazingly the prices have been getting much more back to what other major cities are enjoying. The whole deal with the new airport was shady from the beginning and United has enjoyed almost a monopoly on the area in order to put a hub here in Denver. Some can argue this was good but I think we have seen the greed that the airline execs have displayed to both the community as well as their own employees.

For the hassle that United puts you through and all the restrictions that you have to deal with to get your "perks" its honestly not worth it half the time. I know when I used to fly Southwest the restrictions were much less and I didn't mind the seating because the atmosphere was much more upbeat. They enjoyed going to work everyday where if you head to United it is obvious how resentful their employees are at this point. I have many friends who work there and many more that I know from flying and ALL of them hate it....and it shows.

Just to make some extra money, it now costs $2 per bag to check at the curb. Now keep in mind that this DOES NOT include the tip at DIA. And make no mistake they are weighing bags. This is the kind of things I am talking about.

Perks...yes there are some but I can't say they are that great and the restrictions make them almost impossible to use. United has cut back so much of their flights that most of the places I like to go are now not possible and the fact that they offer 1 seat for using FF miles is very frustrating. To me...its obvious they don't care.

I could go on and on and on with this but need to get back to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom