Flu Season and Flu Shots - any "scuba specific" thoughts or concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Every year about this time the "Be sure to get your flu shot..." campaigns start to roll out. Was wondering if there were any specific/incremental reasons that scuba divers should get a flu shot?

Another SB thread on travel insurance - and having seen this campaign - got me thinking about "flu planning" for divers

11889945_10153139975980665_3776206900038573768_o.jpg

Duke Diving Medicine? DocVikingo? doctormike?

Last edited:
Getting badly congetsed can screw up dive plans. I work in a high exposure occupation (university undergraduates)

I do avoid a flu shot shortly before diving since depending on the cocktail will make me slightly congested and achy for a couple days.

Hi RJP,

As for scuba per se, I don't see any increase in the risk of flu just from breathing through a reg (provided that it is used exclusively by yourself & not rinsed in communal tanks), diving to depth, etc.

However, if you are flying to a dive destination your risk of contracting the flu likely will be increased for obvious reasons. There is also the matter of being in close proximity to other divers on a boat, divers who may be coughing & spreading mucus around by various means. And as Steve_C indicated, a case of the flu can be the death of a dive trip.

A final note--make your dive plans for a hot & humid venue. Flu viruses do not spread or survive well in such conditions.

Regards,

DocVikingo

PS: Of course take all of the customarily recommended preventative measures.

Last edited:
No reason not to get one, and every reason to get one. It's not a magic bullet, but it does help, and divers are often in close proximity to other people's mucus. Who hasn't seen a big stringy goober come oozing out of a scuba mask and plop onto the deck?

Best regards,
DDM

question #1: when was the last time you had the flu?

question #2: when was the last time you had a cold?

question #3: where can i get a cold shot?

No reason not to get one, and every reason to get one. It's not a magic bullet, but it does help, and divers are often in close proximity to other people's mucus. Who hasn't seen a big stringy goober come oozing out of a scuba mask and plop onto the deck?

Best regards,
DDM

Really? "no" reason not to get one? Your medical opinion is trusted on here but I cant see how you can make such a statement. Absurd.

There are loads of reasons not to get a flu shot. Each individual needs to weigh the risks and consider the risk/benefit ratio for themselves. For some, its a no brainer that they should get one. For others - not so much.

Each individual will have their own conclusion.

But to categorially state that there are no reasons not to get one is insane. There are as many clear cut medical and scientific reasons NOT to get one as there are to get one for many people.

Really? "no" reason not to get one? Your medical opinion is trusted on here but I cant see how you can make such a statement. Absurd.

There are loads of reasons not to get a flu shot. Each individual needs to weigh the risks and consider the risk/benefit ratio for themselves. For some, its a no brainer that they should get one. For others - not so much.

But to categorially state that there are no reasons not to get one is insane. There are as many clear cut medical and scientific reasons NOT to get one as there are to get one for many people.

A little overstating it aren't you. About three categories of people who shouldn't. Below is excerpted from CDC website.

People who can't get the flu shot:

• Children younger than 6 months are too young to get a flu shot
  • People with severe, life-threatening allergies to flu vaccine or any ingredient in the vaccine. This might include gelatin, antibiotics, or other ingredients. See Special Considerations Regarding Egg Allergy for more information about egg allergies and flu vaccine.
Note: There are certain flu shots that have different age indications. For example people younger than 65 years of age should not get the high-dose flu shot([url]http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_fluzone.htm)[/URL] and people who are younger than 18 years old or older than 64 years old should not get the intradermal flu shot([url]http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_intradermal-vaccine.htm)[/URL].

People who should talk to their doctor before getting the flu shot:

• If you have an allergy to eggs or any of the ingredients in the vaccine. Talk to your doctor about your allergy.
  • If you ever had Guillain-Barré Syndrome (a severe paralyzing illness, also called GBS). Some people with a history of GBS should not get this vaccine. Talk to your doctor about your GBS history.
  • If you are not feeling well. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms.

Get the facts here.......

Seasonal Flu Shot | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Then go get your flu shot. Duke Diving Medicine is correct no reason not to for vast majority of the adult population.

Perhaps you'll be so kind as to elaborate on the "many (emphasis mine) clear-cut medical and scientific reasons not to get a flu shot", aside from the obvious (allergies to the components, which the individual administering the vaccine should catch). References would be nice, and using ev780's from the CDC doesn't count :)

Best regards,
DDM

Wait... you mean those children under 6 months who dive should not get a flu shot? Who woulda guessed?

The better question is why not get a flu shot?

Scared of preservatives? I give only preservative free shots now and I'm sure many other places do as well.

Scared of getting "sick?" Flu shot is an inactivated virus, meaning you literally cannot get the flu from it. However your immune system can still respond to it, which yes can make you feel a little "sick" but remember that means your immune system is doing its job!

Are you around very old, very young, or pregnant people? Get the shot and help protect them as well.

I don't know, ive never had a patient have a serious reaction to a flu shot so maybe I'm biased but with most insurances covering it 100%, it seems like a no brainer to me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom