Flu-like symptoms after a dive;Poseidon Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Papagino,

Your mention of "Two years ago, after making hundreds of dives over many years, I started developing flu-like symptoms an hour or two after the second dive of a multi day series of dives. At first I felt really chilled, shivvering uncontrollably. Then the chill would switch to a fever that would last an hour or so, then break. For the next hour or so I was weak; and then suddenly fine" certainly raises the suspicion of a saltwater aspiration-like syndrome.

Did you have shortness of breath, productive cough or any other signs or symptoms?

Regards,

DocVikingo

I was amazed to come across this reference to Poseiden regs and 'flu like symptoms'. My husband and I have this experience evry time we go on a dive trip. It takes place after the very first 2 dives of our trip and usually only on the first day. It starts off with shivering and being cold and then aching, headachey 'run over by a truck ' feelings. When we first started diving about 5 years ago we both ended up in the hospital in Cozumel (my husband the first day and me the second). Although our symptoms were the same, Bill was diagnosed with salt water aspiration and me with Toxic shock syndrome! We each spent a day in the hospital and after a few days were given the ok to dive again. At the time we felt we had done something wrong due to our inexperience. We had our Poseiden regs looked at and were told they were fine. Now we know that the condition passes in about 24 hrs and after that initial malaise we feel fine the rest of our dives. Its actually really awful knowing we are going to feel like crap the first day and we have considered giving up diving-isnt that terrible? Anyways, after reading this interesting post, we are going to change regs and see if it makes a difference-expensive but hopeful! Im wondering if Poseiden knows that there may be issues regarding salt water aspiration with their equipment? Are there any other 'sensitive ' divers out there?

Hi Papagino,

Your mention of "Two years ago, after making hundreds of dives over many years, I started developing flu-like symptoms an hour or two after the second dive of a multi day series of dives. At first I felt really chilled, shivvering uncontrollably. Then the chill would switch to a fever that would last an hour or so, then break. For the next hour or so I was weak; and then suddenly fine" certainly raises the suspicion of a saltwater aspiration-like syndrome.

Did you have shortness of breath, productive cough or any other signs or symptoms?

Regards,

DocVikingo
DocVikingo,
First, let me say I am sorry for not replying to this inquiry sooner. Somehow I missed the notice in my inbox. But in answer to your question, no, I did not experience any shortness of breath; nor did I have any cough, dry or productive. The symptoms were all nearly identical, as were the circumstances. On day 1 or 2 of a multi day dive trip, ususlly about 2 to 3 hours after making 2 60 to 80 minute non decompression dives in salt water, I would begin to feel a general malaise coming over me, followed immediately by severe chills then a fever. From onset to conclusion, the attack lasted about 2 to 3 hours and was always spent in bed. I did not experience any headaches or other symptoms that I am aware of, loss of apetite, desire to drink, etc. I would be very weak after the "attack" for the rest of the evening though and usually layed quite low socially. The next day I would usually be fine and resume diving. I usually do take a mid week break from all diving to off gas, though. On Thursday or Friday the smptoms may or may not come back. A close review of my dive logs indicates that the symptoms coincided precisely with my purchase of the Poseidon Xtreme regulator, and not my taking blood pressure medicine. I had been taking blood pressure medicine for at least one or two years prior to that. I understand that some blood pressure prescriptions include a diuretic such as HCTZ (?) and that that can cause sensitivity to the sun, an exacerbating condition. That is not a factor in my case, however. I also know several other people who dive with this regulator without experiencing any symptoms, including my dive buddy who dove with a nearly identical profile. Thank you for your interest. I would appreciate any comments you might have.

I was amazed to come across this reference to Poseiden regs and 'flu like symptoms'. My husband and I have this experience evry time we go on a dive trip. It takes place after the very first 2 dives of our trip and usually only on the first day. It starts off with shivering and being cold and then aching, headachey 'run over by a truck ' feelings. When we first started diving about 5 years ago we both ended up in the hospital in Cozumel (my husband the first day and me the second). Although our symptoms were the same, Bill was diagnosed with salt water aspiration and me with Toxic shock syndrome! We each spent a day in the hospital and after a few days were given the ok to dive again. At the time we felt we had done something wrong due to our inexperience. We had our Poseiden regs looked at and were told they were fine. Now we know that the condition passes in about 24 hrs and after that initial malaise we feel fine the rest of our dives. Its actually really awful knowing we are going to feel like crap the first day and we have considered giving up diving-isnt that terrible? Anyways, after reading this interesting post, we are going to change regs and see if it makes a difference-expensive but hopeful! Im wondering if Poseiden knows that there may be issues regarding salt water aspiration with their equipment? Are there any other 'sensitive ' divers out there?
PeggyHarp,
Thank you for posting your information. Our circumstances sound identical. I have also received an email from someone who described the same problem, but said all his symptoms went away when he switched to an Apeks regulator. I did not have the problem when I dove with a ScubaPro regulator. And I dove for two years on the Poseidon before realizing what is likely my problem. I do not know if Poseidon is aware of this issue, although I suspect that their marketing department keeps an eye on boards such as this. However, it may also be our greater susceptibility to salt water aspiration, rather than a fault in their regulator. I liked the feel of the wetter reg before I realized that it was probably causing me this grief. My ScubaPro left my throat feeling very dry after a dive. By all means, keep diving. Maybe borrow or rent a different regulator to check it out first, then purchase a new one. I don't know what a used Poseidon goes for, but I imagine there is a good market for one. Alternatively, if you dive doubles, or plan to in the future, you could move it to your left post for a perfectly good back up regulator. Good luck.

I liked the feel of the wetter reg before I realized that it was probably causing me this grief. My ScubaPro left my throat feeling very dry after a dive.

If the dryness in your throat is also an issue, you might like to try the Bio-Filter Moisture System from Apollo Sports with your ScubaPro regs.
Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter

If the dryness in your throat is also an issue, you might like to read this item that I wrote within the past week:

1. It is always a good idea to stay well hydrated while diving and this will help, although not eliminate, dry mouth.

Avoiding caffeine, sugar-containing products, alcohol and smoking, especially prior to diving, will assist in good hydration and help reduce dry mouth.

2. Purchase a reg with "moisturizing fins" in the second stage, such as the Oasis or Blizzard made by Sherwood (http://www.sherwoodscuba.com/category.php?cat_id=1).

3. Purchase Apollo's in-line moisturizer (Bio-Filter; (http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm). Be aware that this device needs regular servicing and does represent another potential failure point in the reg system.

Neither the regs nor the inline moisturizer work miracles, but typically do provide some relief.

4. Since the trusty old "Scuda" is no longer on the market, I now recommend a "Camelbak," nifty little sports canteens which allow you a squirt of fresh water, or whatever ever other liquid you desire, where and when you want it. CamelBak Better Bottle w/ Bite Valve models in various capacities have a bite valve as well as a loop at the top for rigging and work very well u/w (http://www.backcountry.com/store/group/96/Water-Bottles.html).

The Platypus small, soft canteen with bite valve (BPA-Free Hydration from Platypus) is another choice.

Also, Deep Sea Supply offers a convenient 14 oz. water bladder with bite valve for $22 (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=55).

5. Periodically tickle the roof of your mouth with your tongue, or run it along your teeth, as this will trigger salivation.

6. Rub a very small bit of toothpaste in your mouthpiece prior to entry.

7. Try the new OraMoist disc (Dry Mouth Treatment). It's best to try a couple of them topside first to make sure they adhere. Aspirating one during a dive probably wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

8. Although it is unlikely to come to this, there are artificial saliva products, both OTC and prescription, in various forms that are primarily designed for those with severe and chronic dry mouth secondary to particular diseases or medications/medical treatments. I have suggested these to divers who are post-radiation therapy of the head and neck and they have reported reasonable relief. However, used occasionally and as directed they should do no harm to healthy individual. Examples of OTC products are Entertainer's Secret, Optimoist, Saliva Substitute and Xero-Lube Artificial Saliva.

Helpful?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Just wanted to thank you again for writing about your experience-its somehow reassuring to hear that others have gone thru similar situations and its great to think about a possible solution! We are going to Cozumel at the end of the month and thats how I came across your information. I was beginning to dread diving instead of looking forward to it...Anyways, I have already spoken to our dive shop about selling our Poseidens and trying new regulators. Horray! Take good care. Happy Diving!

Best wishes to you with the new regulators. Be sure to post back about your experience. I love Cozumel myself and go there several times a year. Since the horrible huricane a few years back, the reefs have begun to return to life nicely. Can't keep Cozumel down. Regards

A bit late in this interesting dialogue - just like to be positive tho'.: I use Jetstreams, fine them as advertised, a very easy breathe and all the air I want [and I tend to be 'greedy' even after near 80 dives] - no, never had these problems but can maybe suggest an easy couple of dives initially to re-establish what it feels like, get all the old habits and routines back in place - additionally, this year my son and I started 3 trips a year, so about 3-4/12 - seems to have worked well, even with a very short [8 dives in 4/7] second trip! I guess that ties it into experience, no substitute. Ross

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom