FlowerGardens - any ideas for plan-B?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fubari

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting some people together for a FlowerGardens weekend in October.

Just in case we get blown off, can you suggest a dive-site between Houston
and Freeport that we could use as "Plan-B"?

I'd hate to come all the way to Texas and go home without
doing any diving.

John G.

The www.divetexas.com website must be having problems or is not supported any longer. Most if not all the links are dead ends "Object not Found" error.

joens:
A plan b for an october gulf trip is definately a good idea . I don't have any ideas withought knowing how far you are willing to travel but when the time gets close go to http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/WestGulf.shtml if you want to get the forecast for the gulf.

Twin Lakes Scuba Park....you'll drive right past going to Freeport. It's located on Hwy 6 about a mile and a half east of 288. Cost: $12.00. There are burger joints near intersection of 288 & 6.....also small BBQ & other eats real close. They have air at park. A 3mm or 5mm will probably do in October. The lake has a chilly thermo usually about 20 ft. Max depth about 50ft.

Regards,

Twin Lakes is the best bet for a second choice, it you do not mind a drive there is the Blue Lagoons in Huntsville also.

These are great ideas - exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you!

Interesting point - I should ask, when is weather most cooperative
for gulf diving? October is attractive because Chicago starts to
cool down then... but I might be better off picking a (more) stable
weather time (I was wondering why Spree & Fling don't operate
in the winter months).
John G.

joens:
A plan b for an october gulf trip is definately a good idea . I don't have any ideas withought knowing how far you are willing to travel but when the time gets close go to http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/WestGulf.shtml if you want to get the forecast for the gulf.

Calmest summer months in the Gulf of Mexico are July-September, which are also I might add the peak hurricane months. Late May-June aren't so bad either, nor is early October. I'm supposed to hit the Banks Tuesday... seas are currently 3-5 feet. That's so-so for boat diving.

Fubari,

For all practical purposes yhere is a four month window for fairly predictable Gardens diving....June, July, August & September. Warm water, stable weather, except for tropical storms, which are monitored very closely. 10 to 15 SE winds are the norm for this period...sometimes less. Seas will usually average 3 to 5 closer to shore and 2 to 4 farther out. The Gulf is famous for sudden changes and an unexpected thunder shower now and then occur. The Gulf also has rotary currents which can range from zero to ripping. Usually the current is not a problem.

As to why the Fling and Spree don't operate in the winter, I would guess and opine that it is financial........Nasty, rough, cold weather don't produce a lot of divers. Also boats need maintenance and this is a good time to do that. Also, periodically the boats are used elsewhere in the Caribbean (warmer) during this period.

If I'm too far off, I would hope my friend, Capt10Randy would correct me.

Regards,

fubari:
These are great ideas - exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you!

Interesting point - I should ask, when is weather most cooperative
for gulf diving? October is attractive because Chicago starts to
cool down then... but I might be better off picking a (more) stable
weather time (I was wondering why Spree & Fling don't operate
in the winter months).
John G.

August is historically the best seas conditions, closely followed by July and September. Of those 3 choices, July is least likely to be effected by hurricanes in the gulf which pretty much prevent/end diving. I don't believe there is a good plan B in the area that involves quality diving. How about an Astro's game? :beer_yum:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom