FlowerGardens - any ideas for plan-B?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
August is historically the best seas conditions, closely followed by July and September. Of those 3 choices, July is least likely to be effected by hurricanes in the gulf which pretty much prevent/end diving. I don't believe there is a good plan B in the area that involves quality diving. How about an Astro's game? :beer_yum:

This is all very good to know. It helps me set reasonable
expectations, which makes it easier to recruit people
for the trip. An Astro's game sounds pretty cool, too.
Time to start looking at the scehdule.

Early Oct is probably my best bet (mostly for work reasons)
this year. The weather-patterns and current info are intriguing.
Thanks for the background info. If I'm lucky, I'll come visit in a
few months!
John G.

If you don't already this fubari, a lot of these late summer trips are booked well in advance. Keep this in mind. If you wait fairly late to schedule a trip, you may find that all the berths are filled.

I've heard it mentioned before, but i've never been, but what about Offatts Bayou in galveston? Has anyone been diving there before?

archman:
If you don't already this fubari, a lot of these late summer trips are booked well in advance. Keep this in mind. If you wait fairly late to schedule a trip, you may find that all the berths are filled.

Also worth checking out is the Seasearcher - it's a smaller boat than the Fling and Spree, but can hold up to 16 divers. My club (CHUM) has half the boat booked on Oct 1/2, the other half is held by Ascuba Ventures, and I know they still have 5 or 6 spaces unsold . Looks like we'll also have some guys going out on Sept 17/18 as well on the same boat - booked through R&D Scuba in Houston and it looks like they still have spaces available as of today. (may 4th)

Just a note, but for your travel plans, these all tend to board on the Friday evening so as to sail overnight out to the gardens.

Relevant websites are :

www.chumclub.org
www.ascubaventures.com
www.rdscuba.com

Cudabait:
Fubari,

For all practical purposes yhere is a four month window for fairly predictable Gardens diving....June, July, August & September. Warm water, stable weather, except for tropical storms, which are monitored very closely. 10 to 15 SE winds are the norm for this period...sometimes less. Seas will usually average 3 to 5 closer to shore and 2 to 4 farther out. The Gulf is famous for sudden changes and an unexpected thunder shower now and then occur. The Gulf also has rotary currents which can range from zero to ripping. Usually the current is not a problem.

As to why the Fling and Spree don't operate in the winter, I would guess and opine that it is financial........Nasty, rough, cold weather don't produce a lot of divers. Also boats need maintenance and this is a good time to do that. Also, periodically the boats are used elsewhere in the Caribbean (warmer) during this period.

If I'm too far off, I would hope my friend, Capt10Randy would correct me.

Regards,

Cudabait you are right on. June-September are our best months as far as weather goes. Starting in October the first of our northerners start moving down and the winds can pick up .As a general rule October is a 50-50 shot. As mentioned above in prevoius posts Twin lakes or Blue Lagoon are your 2 other options with Twin lakes being the closest to Freeport, Tx. Do you know which boat you are on in October? The Fling or the Spree?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom