Flower Gardens Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradJ

Reaction score
Did anyone go out to the Gulf this weekend (3/6-7)?
I was surprised to see that Gulf Diving made the trip.
The weather seemed as bad or worse than it has been for most of the year so far when they've cancelled.
I wonder how the ride out was with 6' seas all night.
Maybe they altered the trip itenirary?

BradJ:
I wonder how the ride out was with 6' seas all night.

One word -- RODEO; as in RIDE 'EM, COWBOY!

You can pop Dramamine like M&Ms and, chances are, you're still going to get tossed around (along with your cookies).

I just heard from Sea Searcher and they did not go out.
You have to feel for the operators having to cancel so many trips this time of year.

It's the nature of the beast (the beast, in this instance, being the Gulf of Mexico).

Someone that went on the trip posted info on another board. Sunday the seas were supposedly flat. The person indicated both Gulf Diving boats went out full of divers.

Hammerheads, a large Spotted Eagle Ray, turtles and the usual critters were sighted. One Tiger shark was seen as well.

Wish I had been there!

texasmermaid:
Someone that went on the trip posted info on another board. Sunday the seas were supposedly flat. The person indicated both Gulf Diving boats went out full of divers.

Hammerheads, a large Spotted Eagle Ray, turtles and the usual critters were sighted. One Tiger shark was seen as well.

Wish I had been there!
The trip did go!!! I was there and ride 'em cowboy is right!!! It was a great trip - hammerheads, tiger sharks, spotted eagle rays, and a manta that was the size of my car!!! There were 3 of us hanging on the rope at about 45' and all of the sudded out of the dark comes a mid sized sedan with glowing eyes!!! Not ONE of us had a camear on that dive - at least there were two others on the line below us to confirm the story. We couldn't do a night dive because of the tiger sharks being out - they feed at night! Every time I close my eyes I can see the hammerheads - it was awesome - I did take photos - but I fear that I was in such shock - I probably have some great shots of BLUE WATER! The water was rough on Friday night and most of Saturday - Sunday was smoother. I wore the patch and took meclazine. I didn't toss anything - but some did. It is a weekend that I won't forget for a long time! The group I was with from Coral Adventures in Lewisville were very nice to me! It was great! Sandy

Sandyke, Glad you had a good time out on the Gulf this past week end. As the seas go that was not that bad as for March generally. The swells made it a lot smoother than if they had been choppy. Yes the seas got rough Saturday after the sun came up. Then by late afternoon they began to calm down. Hope you will come back out with us again this summer. July-September are good.

Cap10R
M/V Fling

Capt.

So what chances do you give to going out this weekend? I'm scheduled to dive with y'all if it goes.

What is the make or break condition to calling a trip? I've followed your trips for a year or two and I would have bet money last weeks would have been called.

Glad to hear it went well, my fingers are crossed for this weekend.

Bradj,I'm not the capt, but I've been on my share of deep sea fishing trips(100+ mile out) in the gulf. Most capts will call off the trip when the winds are from the north at 18-20+mph. North winds really kick up the seas(6+) ,as will VERY high winds from the south. But, in truth, everything depends on the wind....check a weather site and see if a front is coming through,if so,chances are the trip will be called off. When there's a high over the gulf,normally you'll find the seas like glass.Pray for the big H.

Back
Top Bottom