Flower Gardens August 21-22 Spree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am taking my first Flower Gardens trip August 21-22 on the Spree. My husband was on the July 15-16 trip and said he thought I would enjoy the diving. He also said I may have some trouble with the accommodations. I am kind of a 5 Star hotel girl and he said it might be like camping on a boat for me. Any comments on the accommodations? Anyone else from the TSD going to be on this trip? I am ordering a new wide angle lens for my DX3000 Sea and Sea digital camera for the trip. My husband took some great pictures of their Manta encounter but I think that would have been 10 times better with a wide angle. I am praying for a whale shark!

40 people with 2 fully operational heads!! OK so maybe it is only 4.5 stars

Check out the web site so you can fully understand the layout of the boat. Bunks are first come, first serve so decide in advance what you want and have a plan to get it or alternatives. Forward bunking area has a couple double bunks that you may ba able to reserve in advance. A third head up there is very convient but not usable for any serious work. Disadvantage of the forward area is it can be a bit rougher ride if you are conserned about sea sickness.

Have a great trip and makr friends - it's the diving that really matters.

Think of it as a reality TV event - an adventure.

Don't plan on getting any quality sleep! Depending on your bunk position, the engine noise can be worse in some areas but it's always there. If you're prone to motion sickness, be sure to take your meds well in advance. The bunks can rock and roll just like the decks do. Make sure you pay close attention the the instructions on how the head works! Be preprared to relax or even eat on deck. The salon is a very tight squeeze with 30+ divers.

But the diving is great in decent conditions.

You should be tired from diving and able to sleep well. However, if you're a light sleeper there could be probs. I didn't notice rocking of the bunks. I slept under the stairs on the top bunk, excellent place, as I just rolled out around to the ladder and was up top. I found the bunks large enough, and there's lounging area on the top deck for between dives. (I'm also a heavy sleeper)

Seasickness med if you get seasick, but I've never taken them or been sick.

It's diving, not vacation 5 star hotel resort. I thought the food was great, the people great, and the diving great. They feed you all the time. It's very convenient.

Debraw:
I am kind of a 5 Star hotel girl and he said it might be like camping on a boat for me. Any comments on the accommodations?

Yes - it's like camping on a boat. The ride out may take some getting used to, but by the second day, you'll be tired enough that it doesn't matter much. It's only two nights - the diving is worth the trip.

I personally found that after getting back from a dive, if you hang back and let everyone else get fed while you get yourself dried off and changed, it will be less crowded inside and more relaxed. Don't worry, there's lots of food and plenty of time between dives (2 1/2 hours) so you can take it at your own pace.

I also recommend bringing gloves. With all the ropes you will be travelling on, I found that it's hard on your hands. I store them in my BC pocket when I was on the bottom and put them on for ascents and descents.

If you follow the directions carefully, you can't miss. Ask any questions that come to mind. The DM's are great and will help any way they can.

Thanks for the tips:

1) Small bathroom to guest ratio
2) Loud engine noise
3) Seasickness possibility
4) Hang back and let everyone eat first
5) Wear gloves on descent and ascent
6) Listen to the DM's
7) First Come first serve on the bunks

I think I got it. Oh yeah and hang on for some great diving!!!!!! Camping on a boat...I think I got it.....

Thank you Swampers!!!! :crafty:

Get to the dock early and get in line first ... push and shove if it is important to you.

Get a middle cabin because they move less.

Stay up really late the night before, then maybe you will be so tired you will sleep on the way out. Otherwise you will fake sleep like everyone else.

Share your cabin with 3 other people. Learn to change in a coffin-sized space (complete with privacy curtain).

Noise of some kind all the time (bring ear plugs, they help).

You will be a little tired for the first dive. Then get into the groove - DIVE, EAT, SLEEP. Don't wait, get in there and eat a little and then hit the bed between every dive. You will be able to sleep. Don't worry.

Diving is great, Captains, crew and DM's are great. The time is right as the water is flat.

Make you husband take you to the spa afterward to make up for the camping expedition.

One other suggestion. While the dive crew comes through at 0600 and gently awakens each guest (OK, Mel hollers "Divers get up"), I like to get up about 30 minutes early and get things started. It takes all the hustle and bustle out of that first dive. Sleep is pretty tough that first night but you'll make up for it the second night along with some cat naps between dives. And the ride in the second day is another opportunity to be gently rocked to sleep for another 3 or 4 hours before the drive home. Oh yeah, when you hit terra firma, you're sea legs may keep you rocking for another day or two. It will help you remember what a great time you had.

Be safe.

Debraw:
I am taking my first Flower Gardens trip August 21-22 on the Spree. <SNIP>

I have returned and have taken my sweet time in getting a trip report posted. I started typing one in Microsoft Word but it got really long! Anyway here is a somewhat abbreviated version. I had a great time!!!!! Ok that's it....no just kidding. Got to the dock with no problems. We were quickly greeted my Melanie Wasson DM and Dive boat owner. Minutes later Captain Frank came rambling down the pier yelling " Where is 5 Star Debra"? My new nick name is "5 Star" because of my previous comments on Scubaboard, proclaiming I was somewhat of a "5 Star Diver" and concerned about the accommodations. I was totally shocked and completely unaware how big Scubaboard really is! It was awesome and it made me feel very special. Took two dramamine before the trip. One at 12 Noon and then 1 at 9:00PM. I don't normally get seasick but Melanie recommended if you have it take it. So I did. We needed it, there were 4 to 6 foot waves all night long. I had no problem. We got up the next morning at 6AM for the first dive on West Bank. It was great, hardly any current, a little choppy and a great first dive to get my bearings, learn how to use the side lines, tag lines, and manuever up the ladder. No unusual sightings. We did another dive about the same. The third dive we were lucky enough to get on an oil rig. The current was, for lack of a better term, "ripping"! We pulled ourselves hand over hand down the side lines, and finned as hard as we could over to a piece of metal hanging out of a girder at about 40 feet. I grabbed on to the bar and the three other people I was diving with latched on also. We then just hung there like flags in the wind for 25 minutes. Literally hundreds of fish swarmed us. It was exhilarating! We let go when we had 1500 pounds of air left just to insure we would have enough air to get back to the lines and do a 5 minute or so safety stop. It was like riding a bucking bronco getting back on the boat. I pulled myself up, hooped on the rear deck, took my reg out and yelled, that was the most exciting F***-in dive I have ever done. I think everyone believed me. We transferred over to East Bank for dives 4 and 5. Still a decent current and I was already a little tired from the previous dive so we took it easy. I held on to the Mooring line for a good 15 minutes towards the end of the dive just taking in the surroundings without much effort. I skipped the night dive. I had more fun hanging out eating ice cream and brownies while watching Finding Nemo. I went to sleep without any trouble. We dove Stetson Bank the next day for two dives and saw a couple of Giant Mantas and a Silky. Great diving! The trip back was a welcome relief and it was a great opportunity to pack, eat, and catch about a 2 hour nap before the drive home to Dallas. I could not have asked for more thorough dive breifings, friendlier crew, attention to safety and details, and overall value for the money. I will definitely be going back Oct 23-24 on the Spree. It was 5 Star Diving for 5 Star Debra!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom