Flower Garden trips CANCELLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is amazing how short term people look into the future.

I would agree with the need to full their commitments, right up until the point I consider that even with good weather the oil fiasco would likely have scared off many customers if not directly closed down the operation. This disaster has taken a normally risky business and stacked the odds against them to a unprecedented level. It no long riding out a few bad months or a season, the effects will be lasting for years. If they blindly tried to continue business as usual and honored this seasons trips, the would likely drive their business into the ground and close up shop in a few months, then you have have NO boats from Texas after 2010. They have simply made probably the only viable business decision.

I realize they may written off the commitment they made to customers by canceling and its a bitter pill to swallow. In most circumstances I would critical also. In this case I will not. If I was in their shoes, I would have done the same. I probably have offered a carrot in recognition of the issue, like a significant discount on a trip the following season.

In the end, they have survived in a tough business in a tough place that no one else seems to be able to thrive. They have probably made difficult decisions before and are willing to do again. I wish them the very best and hope to see the FG in a year or two.

I'd be reeeeally careful about hoping that the Fling operators "sell the boat". The assumption is that the new buyer would be someone who would use it for what Ken and Sharon are using it for...a dive liveaboard. Let me remind you that the M/V Fling is a converted "crewboat", which was originally designed to service oil platforms, delivering parts and personnel for the oil industry. It very likely would be returned to that function by a potential new owner.
Be careful what you wish for...you may just get it.

And Rak, I'm surprised at your vehemence. Were you booked for another Fling cruise in addition to the DUOY? If so, then I understand the hard feelings, since a trip out there is a sizeable investment. But the DUOY diving trip is essentially FREE since it's underwritten by the Gulf of Mexico Foundation--you aren't out that much cash (yes, I know...that physical was probably not cheap. Just look at it as something everyone need to do once in a while). I also understand that you may have had the inconvenience of reserving those days from work, family, etc... However, that's all it is, an inconvenience. Put it all in perspective...that trip had a 20% chance of getting called off due to nature (it IS the hurricane season, after all). This disaster just bumped up the odds significantly.
Time to move on. Hope to see you at the DUOY 2011 trip. I'm going to reapply, that's for certain!

It is amazing how short term people look into the future.

I would agree with the need to full their commitments, right up until the point I consider that even with good weather the oil fiasco would likely have scared off many customers if not directly closed down the operation. This disaster has taken a normally risky business and stacked the odds against them to a unprecedented level. It no long riding out a few bad months or a season, the effects will be lasting for years. If they blindly tried to continue business as usual and honored this seasons trips, the would likely drive their business into the ground and close up shop in a few months, then you have have NO boats from Texas after 2010. They have simply made probably the only viable business decision.

I realize they may written off the commitment they made to customers by canceling and its a bitter pill to swallow. In most circumstances I would critical also. In this case I will not. If I was in their shoes, I would have done the same. I probably have offered a carrot in recognition of the issue, like a significant discount on a trip the following season.

In the end, they have survived in a tough business in a tough place that no one else seems to be able to thrive. They have probably made difficult decisions before and are willing to do again. I wish them the very best and hope to see the FG in a year or two.

Are you talking about the Fling or the Spree? Both faced somewhat similar situations. The Spree's diving destination is probably under a greater threat from oil contamination due to the loop current in the gulf than the Fling's. But Frank has indicated that business in that destination has been pretty good so they declined requests to switch their operation to support oil clean-up. At least we should see the Spree at the FGB later this season.

Also, I have not seen anyone indicating they were "wishing" the M/V Fling will change hands. I suspect that such a sale would decrease the likelihood of it continuing FGB dive operations.

I was referring to the Fling, although to some extent this could be any boat in the Gulf.

Until we can stop the flow of oil, I don't think anyone knows how bad it is going to get or how long to recover or what will be affected. I think most of the information out there is little better than a wild guess on what will happen.

And Rak, I'm surprised at your vehemence. Were you booked for another Fling cruise in addition to the DUOY? If so, then I understand the hard feelings, since a trip out there is a sizeable investment. But the DUOY diving trip is essentially FREE since it's underwritten by the Gulf of Mexico Foundation--you aren't out that much cash (yes, I know...that physical was probably not cheap. Just look at it as something everyone need to do once in a while). I also understand that you may have had the inconvenience of reserving those days from work, family, etc... However, that's all it is, an inconvenience. Put it all in perspective...that trip had a 20% chance of getting called off due to nature (it IS the hurricane season, after all). This disaster just bumped up the odds significantly.
Time to move on. Hope to see you at the DUOY 2011 trip. I'm going to reapply, that's for certain!

Bill,

Are you saying that the guy leading the charge on the "boycott" is just pissed because he'll have to wait until next year to get his freebie? Unbelievable...

Well, Zzzking, the frustration is still understandable. I'm sure others are in the same boat I'm in with the DUOY education cruise. I've already invested in a pretty expensive physical evaluation (required by the program standards), I was counting on the program to count for two days of summer workshops (required by our local ISD and the Texas Education Agency) which will now have to be rescheduled from the local educational service center (and the pickin's are pretty slim now), and I pretty much scheduled my summer around the trip (well, that and a new granddaughter, due ANY TIME NOW). In addition, I had spent quite a bit of time studying up in order to conduct the REEF surveys we would have performed in the GOM, and I was counting on the land based phase of the program to provide material for a new curriculum I'm building this summer for a course to be offered this coming year. Now, I'm left scrambling for other sources. I agree that it's pretty frustrating to have invested time and effort in the program only to have it yanked out from under us. However, I still stick to my original stance...I will not whine, I will not cast blame, and I WILL look toward the future with optimism.
Now, if you will excuse me, I have Roatan brochures and articles over which I must drool.

Well, Zzzking, the frustration is still understandable. I'm sure others are in the same boat I'm in with the DUOY education cruise. I've already invested in a pretty expensive physical evaluation (required by the program standards), I was counting on the program to count for two days of summer workshops (required by our local ISD and the Texas Education Agency) which will now have to be rescheduled from the local educational service center (and the pickin's are pretty slim now), and I pretty much scheduled my summer around the trip (well, that and a new granddaughter, due ANY TIME NOW). In addition, I had spent quite a bit of time studying up in order to conduct the REEF surveys we would have performed in the GOM, and I was counting on the land based phase of the program to provide material for a new curriculum I'm building this summer for a course to be offered this coming year. Now, I'm left scrambling for other sources. I agree that it's pretty frustrating to have invested time and effort in the program only to have it yanked out from under us. However, I still stick to my original stance...I will not whine, I will not cast blame, and I WILL look toward the future with optimism.
Now, if you will excuse me, I have Roatan brochures and articles over which I must drool.

....physical evaluation ??? :confused: ...wonder what you're doing out there requiring that ?

Good luck with that upcoming grand baby! Do your best to spoil her rotten. :)

....physical evaluation ??? :confused: ...wonder what you're doing out there requiring that ?

It's not a bad idea all things considered. Early trips (I was on one of them) encountered some....problems.

Now, it's standard procedure for qualification for the program.

I've been biting my tongue for a week now and am getting rather disgusted reading some of these posts :shakehead:

I would like to thank the selfish divers who have identified themselves with their self-righteous, inconsiderate and foolish remarks. May your tanks get short fills. Hopefully I can avoid you and those like you on charters and surface intervals :wink:

While the timing sucks (I too was on the June schedule) I'm praying the Fling is able to work many straight months helping with the oil spill & earn more than a dive seasons revenue to ensure they can continue to operate in the black running trips out to the Flower Gardens next year. It's a tough business and I'm grateful the Fling is still in operation, even if I have to miss a few trips this summer.

For those who said they'd never book again, I hope you keep your word (is that selfish of me?) :mooner:

I could not agree more. Those who are complaining are acting like this is the trip of a life time. It is just a drive trip. There will, or could be many others. yes, I am sure it is disappointing just as it would be disappointing if a trip was cancelled due to weather.

Jesus Christ, disappointing maybe? Life ending, GIVE ME A BREAK...

Back
Top Bottom