Flower Garden trips CANCELLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...alrighty, got my LDS to refund my $100 deposit for my 1st-weekend-in-Aug trip yesterday (the trip is officially cancelled per the FLING www site anyway so it's not hurting FLING as it wasn't ME who cancelled). LDS is still holding my Stetson-only late Aug trip, for now.....but it's looking HIGHLY I'll be doing Coz with another LDS that same weekend, so it's looking like for my would-be Stetson trip, either FLING will cancel on me or I'll cancel on FLING.

This is ALL about the oil spill. If it were not for the oil spill they would have continued business as usual, unless someone can prove otherwise. Their effort will not singlehandedly change the outcome but they are part of the solution to address the mess in a way they can provide assistance.

Fling returned the money, unlike the Nekton mentioned in a previous post who screwed their paying customers by taking their money, not providing a service and then filing for bankruptcy to protect their ass-ets.

The oil spill is simply about money. What they did would be no different if they called up and said James Cameron offered them a megabuck to dive FG for a week and thus they were kicking you off the boat on your next trip.

Friday, June 11, 2010
FYI: The Fling is now in Pascagoula Mississippi working with a barge and crane that will be cleaning any boats that have oil on them before they are allowed to enter the bay. We have now cancelled all trips until August 14th. I do believe that we will be there longer and will keep everyone updated as soon as we get any information. I would like to thank the many dive shops and divers who had support us in our decision to work with the oil spill. I have had a few emails calling us greedy and selfish for doing this work. If we lose any divers because of our decision, that is their choice but we are doing the best that we can right now.

See above.

I've been biting my tongue for a week now and am getting rather disgusted reading some of these posts :shakehead:

I would like to thank the selfish divers who have identified themselves with their self-righteous, inconsiderate and foolish remarks. May your tanks get short fills. Hopefully I can avoid you and those like you on charters and surface intervals :wink:

While the timing sucks (I too was on the June schedule) I'm praying the Fling is able to work many straight months helping with the oil spill & earn more than a dive seasons revenue to ensure they can continue to operate in the black running trips out to the Flower Gardens next year. It's a tough business and I'm grateful the Fling is still in operation, even if I have to miss a few trips this summer.

For those who said they'd never book again, I hope you keep your word (is that selfish of me?) :mooner:

Last edited:
I've been biting my tongue for a week now and am getting rather disgusted reading some of these posts :shakehead:

I would like to thank the selfish divers who have identified themselves with their self-righteous, inconsiderate and foolish remarks. May your tanks get short fills. Hopefully I can avoid you and those like you on charters and surface intervals :wink:

While the timing sucks (I too was on the June schedule) I'm praying the Fling is able to work many straight months helping with the oil spill & earn more than a dive seasons revenue to ensure they can continue to operate in the black running trips out to the Flower Gardens next year. It's a tough business and I'm grateful the Fling is still in operation, even if I have to miss a few trips this summer.

For those who said they'd never book again, I hope you keep your word (is that selfish of me?) :mooner:

...for the record, I'm anticipating cancelling my end of Aug Stetson trip as per the FLING's own e-mail quoted above, they've already cancelled all trips through Aug 14 anyway AND they're expecting to remain working the spill beyond that date, and so I think I'm being very reasonable cancelling my Stetson trip as that trip is only 2 weeks beyond FLING's already announced cancellations, with more cancellations all but certain.....I don't think any reasonable person can find fault with what I'm planning, and we'll just see what happens in 2011 when the time comes.

we'll just see what happens in 2011 when the time comes.

That sounds more reasonable.

:ignore:

Last edited:
Yup, my sentiments exactly. While I'll miss the Gulf expedition in July, I'll look forward to the 2011 season for the FG with anticipation. Hopefully, it will be healthy and just as unique as ever! In the meantime, my wife and I are eyeing a trip to Roatan this summer, and I'll be going to Coz with a group in October. It's all good.

Yup, my sentiments exactly. While I'll miss the Gulf expedition in July, I'll look forward to the 2011 season for the FG with anticipation. Hopefully, it will be healthy and just as unique as ever! In the meantime, my wife and I are eyeing a trip to Roatan this summer, and I'll be going to Coz with a group in October. It's all good.

Thats what I'm talkin about! Life is just to short to get all worked up about something you can't change and you can change a dive trip. I'm with you it's all good! :cool2:

If I had the opportunity to quadruple my income, I'd take it, especially if my current endeavor wasn't that profitable. I don't see that as greed, but a good business decision to ensure survival.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom