Flower Garden Banks Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckless1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I'll be diving the Flower Garden Banks with my GF on a two-day trip Aug. 8-9th. For those of you who've been there:

What are are the typical dive profiles? I know the boat's (many, many) rules give a limit of 130' for the first dive of the day and 100' thereafter, but I guess my question is along the lines of "Where's the stuff?"

Do the dives take place along coral walls with no hard bottom (other than at absurd depths)? This has been my assumption so far.

Are there strong currents or other considerations? We will be carrying SMBs, Dive Alert air horns, a signalling mirror, and red marker dye, but this is stuff I would take along on any dive in the open ocean.

I've heard nothing but good things about the FGB and am really looking forward to the experience, but just wanted to do some "due diligence" and ask SB divers what I'm in for, just in case.

Thanks,
Peter

Hi,

I'll be diving the Flower Garden Banks with my GF on a two-day trip Aug. 8-9th. For those of you who've been there:

What are are the typical dive profiles? I know the boat's (many, many) rules give a limit of 130' for the first dive of the day and 100' thereafter, but I guess my question is along the lines of "Where's the stuff?"

Do the dives take place along coral walls with no hard bottom (other than at absurd depths)? This has been my assumption so far.

Are there strong currents or other considerations? We will be carrying SMBs, Dive Alert air horns, a signalling mirror, and red marker dye, but this is stuff I would take along on any dive in the open ocean.

I've heard nothing but good things about the FGB and am really looking forward to the experience, but just wanted to do some "due diligence" and ask SB divers what I'm in for, just in case.

Thanks,
Peter

Plan on most dive running into the 80 to 90 ft range. The shallowest mooring that I have seen is about 65 ft and the rig dive can be done at 30 ft if you would like.

Except for the rig, there is always a hard bottom around the moorings. Where a mooring is close to a drop-off, I like to hang at the edge of the drop-off and watch for larger things going by. This may take some navigation ability to get to the edge and back on the FGBs, but the drop-offs are more readily accessible at Stetson. The drop-offs on FGB tend to be fairly gentle slopes while Stetson tends to be steeper steps. In both cases, watch your depth as I have seen a number of inattentive divers accidentally slip over the limits.

Currents can be strong or mild but are usually quite manageable close to bottom. In stronger currents, the ropes are your friend. Seas are usually quite pleasant in August.

Enjoy & be safe.

BTW, stuff is everywhere. While you have your nose down in a crevasse on the bottom looking at a Morey, there may be a Manta or Whale Shark passing overhead. Even the flats at Stetson have plenty of interesting life. So, If you get back to the mooring line a little sooner than planned, spend some time looking for sailfin blennies and other stuff (including the occasional sharks and rays).

Ditto to what awap said. Generally, it's a good idea to follow the mooring line down (be sure to wear gloves...there are sharp-shelled critters living on the line), and if you aren't really certain of your compass abilities, circle the buckle and stay relatively close. ("Close" is indeed a relative term...vis could exceed 100 feet, so that covers a LOT of ground within that circle and there will be plenty to see.) If you are more confident, I'd suggest heading up current until your predetermined turnaround pressure and glide back on the current. However, be aware...that turnaround pressure needs to be conservative. The FG is notorious for capricious currents that can turn on a dime. No kidding...my partner and I watched the Fling swing 180 degrees on it's mooring line in about ninety seconds, and the current went from nearly zero to "holy crap!" just as quick. Unwary divers could get blown away pretty easily and sometimes do. No biggie, just means you have to get picked up by the zodiac for the "ride of shame" back to the boat. And then, it could be so calm you think you're in a lake...except for the huge amount of sea life around you, of course.
Only other thing I can think of is if there is any significant wave action at all, listen closely to the re-boarding procedures. Those big honkin' ladders can hammer ya' like a big ol' nail if you're not paying attention in even moderate swells.
I think you'll see pretty quickly why the Fling's guidelines are in place. The pattern is eat, dive, eat, dive, sleep, dive, eat, dive...well, you get the idea...typical liveaboard. The catch is that virtually all the dives are moderately deep, and it's a good idea to keep a close eye on your nitrogen load. I know that on the three day trip, it can sneak up on you pretty quickly.
Have fun and be sure to post a report when you get back. Sure wish I was going with ya!

I'm jealous- I have flown to Texas twice now, only to have the trips cancelled last minute due to weather. Of course my issue is I always try to go when the hammerheads are runniing, which co-incides with the worst weather.
Will you be taking pictures? Ditto, on giving a report when you get back!

Got back last Sunday nite from the weekend trip----videod a manta ray too @ the end of dive 1 @ WB buoy 2...Anyway, 70' to 90' with 40+ min. of BT---except on rig dive(dive #3 of the 1st day) 95+ depth, remember NO 101 feet needed, lol......

I'm jealous- I have flown to Texas twice now, only to have the trips cancelled last minute due to weather. Of course my issue is I always try to go when the hammerheads are runniing, which co-incides with the worst weather.

July 10th thru the next 6 weeks is probably the best time---barring a TS/hurricane....I've planned 3 trips, 1 each of the last 3 yrs('07,'08, &'09) and all 3 have been a go......In order, '07 ~July 17th, '08 ~July 20th, & last week July 17th....AND, saw a hammerhead on dive ~4 of last weekend....

I second awap's excellent site description and guba's words of caution. I advise new divers and those new to FG to stay near the mooring line where you have a hard bottom and can quickly and easily end your dive and ascend on the line. Currents can vary but when they are strong at the bottom I like to drop behind some big coral heads and get out of it.

The crew will brief you before every dive on the conditions. Unless conditions are very good the boat frowns on free ascents and descents. Using the lines makes it easier on everyone and is essential in dealing with surface and mid-level current. If you get away just pop your sausage and wait for the chase boat.

Your profiles will be very square. Unless you go to the wall you're looking at a direct descent down the line to 80 or 90 feet, dive in that range, then back up the line to your safety stop.

Sadly I've already spent my money on other diving gear :depressed: but maybe I can convince my girlfriend that what she really needs right now is a camera housing :eyebrow:

I'll definitely post a trip report though. It's only a couple of weeks away so I'm starting to get excited--I do hope the weather's good so it's not cancelled. I only wish I had more vacation time, all of my warm diving's been in Florida and it'd be nice to dive in other places in the gulf as well as see some of land-based Texas... Oh well.

Thanks everyone for your information!

--Peter

Back
Top Bottom