Flounder vs. Fluke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johlar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between fluke and flounder?

Wife and I diving about a 1/2 mile off Sandwich Sunday and the place was loaded with flounder/fluke? There was one fish who would not stop following us around. I was able to put my index finger underneath him and touch his stomach. It was amazing he did not scoot off like they usually do.

Looks like the town beach has finally opened up, did not see any shore divers and only one other dive boat. Vis great on first dive 15' to 20', 2nd dive was back to 10' feet. Water temp 65. Plenty of "smalls", just a couple of keepers.

Sure... a fluke is a member of the flounder family, often called the summer flounder. The most commonly seen one in our area is the winter flounder. I made up a quick sketch to show the differences between the most common local types. Basicly, you can tell depending on which side of the body the eyes are on.

Flounder.jpg

Also, here are the legal minimum sizes:

The following minimum size limits shall apply to the catching, harvesting, landing or possession by any person of any winter flounder, fluke, dabs and gray sole.
(a) Winter Flounder: 12 inches in total length.
(b) Fluke (Summer Flounder): 14 inches in total length for commercial fishermen and 16 1/2 inches in total length for recreational fishermen.
(c) Dabs: 14 inches in total length.
(d) Gray Sole: 14 inches in total length.
(e) Windowpane Flounder: 12 inches in total length.
(from separate regulation) Yellowtail Flounder: 13 inches.

SWEET SKETCH!!

summer flounder (fluke) eyes on RIGHT side (tale fin to mouth)
winter flounder eyes on LEFT side (tale fin to mouth)

now just to remember that...

scubastew:
SWEET SKETCH!!

summer flounder (fluke) eyes on RIGHT side (tale fin to mouth)
winter flounder eyes on LEFT side (tale fin to mouth)

now just to remember that...

Hehehe, just to be evil and confuse you as you are trying to remember that :wink: ... If you look up flounders in a book, the summer flounder is considered a left-eyed flounder, and the winter flounder is considered a right-eyed flounder. This is opposite of how you described them. That is because biologists look at things differently from the way you did.

They don't guage right or left eyed by which side of the mouth the eyes are on, as you described it. Using the example of the summer flounder, if the fish is laying on the bottom, the right side is the side facing down, and the left side is the side facing up, so the eyes are on the left side. In other words, the fish is really laying on its side not on its bottom.

To figure out which side is the left or right, you have to imagine turning the flounder on edge so it is oriented like a normal fish with the eyes above the mouth (in other words, exactly the way they are shown in those pictures MSilvia drew).

RIOceanographer:
Hehehe, just to be evil and confuse you as you are trying to remember that :wink: ... If you look up flounders in a book, the summer flounder is considered a left-eyed flounder, and the winter flounder is considered a right-eyed flounder. This is opposite of how you described them. That is because biologists look at things differently from the way you did.

They don't guage right or left eyed by which side of the mouth the eyes are on, as you described it. Using the example of the summer flounder, if the fish is laying on the bottom, the right side is the side facing down, and the left side is the side facing up, so the eyes are on the left side. In other words, the fish is really laying on its side not on its bottom.

To figure out which side is the left or right, you have to imagine turning the flounder on edge so it is oriented like a normal fish with the eyes above the mouth (in other words, exactly the way they are shown in those pictures MSilvia drew).

The thing I remember is that fluke has a large mouth and the flounder has a small mouth. Its lot easier than trying to figure out are the eyes on the left or right.

DEEPLOU:
The thing I remember is that fluke has a large mouth and the flounder has a small mouth. Its lot easier than trying to figure out are the eyes on the left or right.

True. And besides, there several species of right and left eye flounders in the area (windowpane, four spot and fluke are all left eyed) so it isn't a good idea to use the eyes alone anyway.

The big thing to keep an eye out for if you go by the mouth is that the mouth on the four spot flounder is very similar to a fluke (it is even a member of the same genus as the fluke), but the four regularly spaced large spots are a dead give away that it isn't a fluke. Fluke have spots, but always more than 4.

Hey Matt, excellent sketches! However, I think you forgot the "Plankah". I go fishing with my father-in-law, and whenever one of us catches a big flounder, he always yells "Wow! Now that's a Plankah!"

muldoonthief:
Hey Matt, excellent sketches! However, I think you forgot the "Plankah". I go fishing with my father-in-law, and whenever one of us catches a big flounder, he always yells "Wow! Now that's a Plankah!"

This sport is way too confusing for an old man!!

At what stage during development do their eyes start to move to one side of their head and they become a flat fish??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom