Florida's newest artificial reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mission of the MCAC Fund - the group that raised the $150K for the project - is to make deep reefs in Martin County. Come up with the funds and the permits and you can place a reef where y'all want it....

They don't use explosives? Sorta disappointing.

That can go overboard ... perhaps literally. My former Dive Safety Officer once told me about his time at a research station in the Caribbean; they had just gotten a new research boat and decided they were going to scuttle their old one. The vessel in question was a 40-foot wooden hull. The guy they put in charge of the planning decided eight pounds of dynamite would do the job ... and then added another 15 pounds. I think at that point any notion of this being an artificial reef went out the window; maybe the engine block became a nice coral head.

i assume the sand is 185'...kingpost 105'..rec limits are 130'........sounds doable.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom