Florida's newest artificial reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aue-mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Yesterday, the 224-foot-long freighter HAILEY GLASRUD was scuttled approximately 9 nm offshore St. Lucie Inlet. She came to rest upright in 185 feet of water, with the top of the kingposts reaching to within 105 feet of the surface. The freighter was built in Germany in 1966 as the PETRA GUNDA.
Here is a link to video shot of the sinking:

[video=youtube_share;_SZgwxpJD8U]http://youtu.be/_SZgwxpJD8U[/video]

Cheers,
Mike

Too deep for recreational diving !

That's stupid.. Too deep for recreational. Good for the fish though they will be happy alone.

Too deep for recreational diving !

Thank goodness- it will be safe from the untrained masses...

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Cool picks! My first thought was what a waste (since I can't dive it) but then I remembered that diving is a residual benefit of artificial reef development. The main purpose is often to increase biodiversity. I think this is one of those times when its not really about me/us (except for Tec Deep Divers).

That's stupid.. Too deep for recreational. Good for the fish though they will be happy alone.

Artificial Reefs aren't sunk for recreational divers (generally)- it's to promote marine biodiversity. Stupid? Hardly.

Dan-O

Artificial Reefs aren't sunk for recreational divers (generally)- it's to promote marine biodiversity. Stupid? Hardly.

Dan-O

Recreational diving is a way to speed up the return of the investment done to sink the old ship. Though promoting marine biodiversity is a good goal, recreational scuba sums up to the whole ecuation and produces limited to no harm to that biodiversity.
Being happy because its too deep and only reachable by tech divers, is too much selfish.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom