Florida weather, August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I´m trying to put together a 2week trip to Florida with arrival sometime in the middle of the month...

Last year when I went around that time I was fortunate enough to pick a week between to different hurricanes so planning a 2week trip this year I don´t feel like pushing my luck...

Is there a hurricane season and if so when does it start?
As we are trying to plan boattrips most every day during our stay weather is somewhat important (not just ´canes but whether its very windy or not)...

I realize there´s no way to really know but I´m sure you locals can tell me whether my plans seem overly optimistic or not...

If it matters (for general weather) we´ll most likely stay somewhere in the Pompano Beach area...

I´d really appreciate whatever advice you can throw my way...

yes, there's a hurricane season. it runs from June to [October] err.. i mean
November.

August and September are the peak months

in the summer, expect thunderstorms almost every afternoon

Slight Clarifications...
Hurricane Season offically runs from June 1 to Nov.30. Peak of the season is Sept, with a mini peak mid October. More useless trivia... Hurricanes normally form over the Gulf of Mexico in the beginning and end of the season, while the peak season is reserved for Atlantic formed storms.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Like the others said, it is indeed Hurricane season, however, the water is warm and pretty calm usually. Not as choppy as Winter and Spring.

grazie42:
I´m trying to put together a 2week trip to Florida with arrival sometime in the middle of the month...

Last year when I went around that time I was fortunate enough to pick a week between to different hurricanes so planning a 2week trip this year I don´t feel like pushing my luck...

Is there a hurricane season and if so when does it start?
As we are trying to plan boattrips most every day during our stay weather is somewhat important (not just ´canes but whether its very windy or not)...

I realize there´s no way to really know but I´m sure you locals can tell me whether my plans seem overly optimistic or not...

If it matters (for general weather) we´ll most likely stay somewhere in the Pompano Beach area...

I´d really appreciate whatever advice you can throw my way...

Not much wind, its all or nothing in the summer, 70+ or nearly zero. Hotter than hell around 95 + humidity, but thankfully out on the boats or at least at the coast you get seabreezes which help cool things off - as does the water :wink: You only need a dive skin in August, the water is in the mid to high-80's IIRC.

I wouldnt plan a trip for 2 solid weeks with plans of getting offshore everyday in late August/September. If you really want good conditions, why not come in July? Atlantic hurricanes historically are not a threat and you will find a general trend of light offshore winds in the AM with a calm ocean and light SE seabreezes and rain in the afternoon.

Thanks for the advice so far!
The reason I cant come earlier FL_Chad is that the swedish "summer" is only three months (from june to august) but during that time Sweden is the best place on earth :) I was actually considering leaving even later but from what you guys have said that sounds like a spectacularly bad idea...maybe we´ll just have to take our chances...

A shame that the Oriscany wont be waiting for us over there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom