Florida Tuna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anybody ever shot a Tuna in Florida waters? Always been a goal of mine..

Based on where in Florida you are talking about the species and answers will change. We live in the Keys and for the most part the only Tuna we see in any quantity are Blackfins. Too small, too spooky and really kind of dangerous to shoot because the only place we find them consistently is on "The Humps". There is a big shark population there and alot of boat traffic.

yes i have..what a great fish..I shot it at the pinellas reefs... Huge tuna too..Good luck..

Tuna in Florida

Hey Diveman3,

Did your tuna look like this?

Bonito2.jpg

Willem

Rich is right about the humps and sharks... Went fishing last weekend and caught blackfin over the largo hump out of islamorada. The hump was the only place we could find them and if we didn't reel them in fast enough, the sharks would get 'em.

We had a discussion about shooting tuna a little while back, but I think it got deleted when the server went down the first time.

You can find tuna up and down the east coast from the Keys to WPB. they will be small up to 20lbs and they are skiddish fish. Usually under feeding birds and they will be mixed in with (Bonitos, Bonitas, False Albacore, Little Tunny) all these are names for the same fish you see pictured in willembad's post.

If you're really serious about shooting or catching tuna, you can chunk for Yellowfin on the Bimini side of the Gulfstream. But if you go that far for them you may want to consider going all the way to The Abacos for sure.:D

BTW, anywhere you find tunas in great numbers, you will find sharks too.

Wys.

Just be real careful how far you go. Spearguns are illegal in the Bahamas. Pole spears only.

(Bonitos, Bonitas, False Albacore, Little Tunny) all these are names for the same fish you see pictured in willembad's post.

...or Bonehead :wink:

I was just teasing Diveman. You'll most likely not see any "real" tuna at Pinellas reef. You have to find blue water to find most tunas and that means going a long way most parts of the state.

Later,

Willem

Back
Top Bottom