Tuna Wreck, Similan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dove Tuna Wreck in Similan (Island 5) on 31 January, 2023. Sandy bottom was at 38 m. Top of the wreck (starboard side) was at 31 m.

Nice one Dan.

Incredible vis, and not a busy site either.

Reactions: Dan
Yes, we got lucky with the visibility & being the first one to get to it before others mucking up the vis. It was actually our 2nd attempt to get down.

At 20m of our first attempt, I heard jet engine sound on the back of my head, so I reached out & grabbed one of my guide’s fins to get his attention. When he turned to me, I asked him what the dang noise was all about and pointed to the back of my head. The first thing he did was to hold my arm, signed me to let go my 2nd stage, and shoved his octopus into my mouth.

Apparently I blew the o-ring of my tank yoke connector. He then turned off my tank valve and we headed back to the surface to replace the blown o-ring and refill our tanks for the 2nd attempt, which went on without any problem.

After the dive we heard back to Phuket and changed my regulator connector into DIN. Yoke was no more.

To those who still have yoke connector, please take a closer look into your yoke metallic o-ring seal surface. If you see some scratches like mine (see picture, below), that’s what mine looks like after 1500 dives. It’s time to replace it.

4B86D499-845B-44D6-9BA8-D5EC0EFB8F4A.jpeg

With DIN, I don’t have to worry about scratching metallic o-ring seal surface (as it’s no longer sitting on regulator like a sore thumb, ready to be beaten up during rough handling of installation of the yoke connector onto the tank valve.

With DIN connector, I just need to inspect my DIN o-ring (see the picture, below). The metallic o-ring seal surface is protected from getting banged up and tucked inside the valve. The only way to get to it is by screwing the male DIN connector on the regulator into the female DIN connector on the tank valve. The DIN machine screw would self aligned the metallic o-ring seal surface squarely onto the DIN o-ring.

9FCD3733-0F9E-4C93-8650-C3C35C94D304.jpeg

Nice wide angle perspective in the opening shots showing scale of wreck and divers…

Reactions: Dan
With those depths, I doubt it's ever very crowded; nice switch-over to a DIN regulator...especially important when diving these depths. The next power move is having a pony bottle 😉

With those depths, I doubt it's ever very crowded; nice switch-over to a DIN regulator...especially important when diving these depths. The next power move is having a pony bottle 😉
I took Self-Reliant (Solo) Diver class and carried S30 pony afterwards. You may know my instructor Vincent Modell, seen in the video. 😉

I took Self-Reliant (Solo) Diver class and carried S30 pony afterwards. You may know my instructor Vincent Modell, seen in the video. 😉
Yeah I've met Vinnie...the "Phuket Snake Guy" 🐍 😏

Yeah I've met Vinnie...the "Phuket Snake Guy" 🐍 😏
He is also the expat emergency first responder.

Back
Top Bottom