Info Florida Trip from Miami to Key West - January 2025

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Your suggestions and feedback are valuable to us.

Patrick (Blue Boy, for those who attended Scubaboard Invasion Bonaire 2024), and me are planning a road trip to Miami through the Florida Keys. The trip is scheduled for early January (2-weeks). Afterwards, Patrick will be going back to finish his Senior year and last semester at Virginia Tech School of Engineering, so these are the days we have available. The trip can start in Miami and end in Key West or start in Key West and end in Miami (first suggestion).

I researched SB and January can be hit or miss regarding weather and waves in the keys. My wife (non-diver) will tag along so restaurants and top side events are helpful. (second suggestion).

Anyone who would like to join us any day(s) is more than welcome. We are looking for suggestions and information. Hotels, restaurants, top-side activities for non-divers, etc., (third suggestion) for the route between Miami and Key West. We know of Tower of Pizza, Robbie's, Cuban Coffee Queen, Porky's, La Niña, King Seafood, Angler and Ale but would like to try others as well.

We plan on diving with Pura Vida, Dixie, Horizon, Captain Hooks in Largo/Marathon, Key Dives, Islamorada Dive Center, Captain's Corner, and open to other local shops suggestions. (fourth suggestion).

If you would like to provide feedback by suggesting great places to stay, eat, dive and relax.? It will be greatly appreciated. If you want to join us one day, please let me know. Thank you all.

See Roostica on Stock Island for outstanding Italian food.

BO's Fish Wagon in Key West looks a bit sketchy but is outstanding.

If you like noodles, Kojin Noodle bar can't be beat.

El Siboney for Cuban. They have a Key West and Stock Island location.
Hogfish Bar & Grill on Stock Island.

We typically go to dinner on Stock Island because Key West traffic and parking can be insane (we stay on the eastern, quieter end of the island)

Looe Key reef is the nicest reef I have visited in the keys. Captain Hooks and Looe Key Reef do 1/2 day trips to Looe Key reef out of Big Pine Key (actually Captain Hook is on Middle Torch Key and Looe Key Reef is on Ramrod Key). I went on two 1/2 day trips with Looe Key Reef earlier this month. On both 1/2 day trips most of the folks on the boat were snorkelers as the reef is shallow. In the last two years, I dove reefs out out Key Largo, Marathon and Big Pine Key and Looe Key reef has the most life and least damage of any reef I've been to in the keys.

Franks Grill in Marathon was the best restaurant we have eaten at in the keys. El Siboney in Key West is our favorite cuban restaurant. Mrs. Mac's Kitchen in Key Largo has big portions of comfort food.

Congrats to the hokie. We have a son that is a Chem E that graduated from VT.

Don’t skip Miami for diving…Diver’s Paradise on Virginia Key (causeway to Key Biscayne) runs a great operation with 2 boat. Their shop and boats are at Crandon Marina, I think the diving off Key Biscayne generally beats Key Largo and a lot less diver traffic….expect same sea conditions as Key Largo.

Several other very good operators in Miami, Ace Diving and Squalo.

Continue down the causeway to Key Biscayne, multiple great restaurants w/o the Miami Beach hassle. Costa Med, Narbona, and there is a Ritz Carlton as well.

Don’t skip Miami for diving…Diver’s Paradise on Virginia Key (causeway to Key Biscayne) runs a great operation with 2 boat. Their shop and boats are at Crandon Marina, I think the diving off Key Biscayne generally beats Key Largo and a lot less diver traffic….expect same sea conditions as Key Largo.

Several other very good operators in Miami, Ace Diving and Squalo.

Continue down the causeway to Key Biscayne, multiple great restaurants w/o the Miami Beach hassle. Costa Med, Narbona, and there is a Ritz Carlton as well.
awesome, thank you for these suggestions. With the wife being a snorkel and not a diver, I will look into Divers Paradise for options. :thumb:

I am not a fan of the reefs in the keys, but the deep wrecks are incredible. Definitely do a couple reef dives just to see for yourself, but when I’m down there these days, I only book wreck dives (and I’m normally someone who prefers reefs to wrecks…the reefs in the keys are kinda meh, while the wrecks are outstanding). You don’t want to miss the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo or the Vandenburg in Key West. I assume you have your AOW/nitrox but if not, get it before you go and pay extra for the nitrox fills on the deeper wreck dives.

Topside: I love The Pelican cottages in Key Largo if you haven’t booked accommodations yet - charming and decently affordable. If you can get your wife out sailing or kayaking, the keys are a great place for it.

If you end in Miami, spend your offgassing day in the Everglades - there are cool airboat tours and it’s a unique ecosystem.

I am not a fan of the reefs in the keys, but the deep wrecks are incredible. Definitely do a couple reef dives just to see for yourself, but when I’m down there these days, I only book wreck dives (and I’m normally someone who prefers reefs to wrecks…the reefs in the keys are kinda meh, while the wrecks are outstanding). You don’t want to miss the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo or the Vandenburg in Key West. I assume you have your AOW/nitrox but if not, get it before you go and pay extra for the nitrox fills on the deeper wreck dives.

Topside: I love The Pelican cottages in Key Largo if you haven’t booked accommodations yet - charming and decently affordable. If you can get your wife out sailing or kayaking, the keys are a great place for it.

If you end in Miami, spend your offgassing day in the Everglades - there are cool airboat tours and it’s a unique ecosystem.
Thank you Rilelen. I am MSD w/nitrox but my son AOW does not want to do nitrox (the why is beyond me!). We both have done Speagle Grove (x3), Duane (x3), Benwood (x1), and several reefs in Key Largo and Islamorada. We will be looking at other wrecks as you suggest but I doubt we will do Van as my son only dives air.

Thank you for the suggestion in Pelican cottages, will look into that option as you suggest. We all have done Everglades few times including airboats and national park hiking.

What about Tortuga, Fort Jefferson? Never been there, and they charge $220 per person for the 10hr trip.

What about Tortuga, Fort Jefferson? Never been there, and they charge $220 per person for the 10hr trip.
My wife and I went and absolutely loved it. Great snorkeling and the historical tour was awesome. I am a history buff though, so take that into account. Also visit Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. They have a naturalist lead tour (free) that was also excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom