Florida Shark Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone do these dive with just a rash guard and shorts?

I believe the scuba charters all have rules about full suits or skins, gloves, and hoods. The snorkel boats vary - I've been on three, with one mandating at least a rashguard top and the other two allowing just a swimsuit. Frankly with the latter I'd be more worried about sunburn and jellies spending an hour at the surface.

Does anyone do these dive with just a rash guard and shorts?
From the Emerald Charters website:

Sharks feed by contrast. No white or yellow fins or masks allowed. For your safety!

You will need to wear a full wetsuit including gloves. It is best to cover all your skin. If your fins are slip on, wear a pair of black socks to cover your ankles. If you have blond hair or long hair, wear a beanie or hood.

From the Emerald Charters website:

Sharks feed by contrast. No white or yellow fins or masks allowed. For your safety!

You will need to wear a full wetsuit including gloves. It is best to cover all your skin. If your fins are slip on, wear a pair of black socks to cover your ankles. If you have blond hair or long hair, wear a beanie or hood.

Damn...., I might need to do this as a winter dive. I don't think I could wear all that and stay hydrated during the dive.

, I might need to do this as a winter dive...
But " Winter " is the peak and best time for Jupiter sharks. The lemons on my last week's dives were really going off and they were PISSED. They'll calm down when the females arrive the 1st week of January.

And if my trusty annual sightings calendar holds true,,,3 tigers should show up in about 10 days (Dec20th) like clockwork at the Jup-Wreck-Trek. If you had to plan a Lemon Visit, pick January 23rd & 24th, 2021. I've been doing this 20yrs and there's just something magicial about that exact weekend that you just can't use enough adjectives to describe each year. Book early, others know about it too and try to buy out entire boats.

But " Winter " is the peak and best time for Jupiter sharks. The lemons on my last week's dives were really going off and they were PISSED. They'll calm down when the females arrive the 1st week of January.

And if my trusty annual sightings calendar holds true,,,3 tigers should show up in about 10 days (Dec20th) like clockwork at the Jup-Wreck-Trek. If you had to plan a Lemon Visit, pick January 23rd & 24th, 2021. I've been doing this 20yrs and there's just something magicial about that exact weekend that you just can't use enough adjectives to describe each year. Book early, others know about it too and try to buy out entire boats.

DJenny just showed up today in Jupiter, which she's done before; not sure how long she'll hang about or how consistent she'll be. This past year it seemed like mid-late March was when she and Patrick set up shop on a regular basis for a few months. One of the snorkel boats has had a few sightings of at least one big great hammerhead, plus a whale shark late last week.

Is it just Jupiter, or can you see them off of Ft. Lauderdale?

Is it just Jupiter, or can you see them off of Ft. Lauderdale?
It's like a World Series Baseball game.......

The closer you are to the infield, the easier it is to see a "Home Run ". Jupiter is where the Lemon Shark game is played, but sometimes a player is found just a bit outside.

If you dive enough in the Jupiter area you will see enough sharks passing by to satisfy the need to see sharks. But if you want to get good pictures and have them hanging around it usually takes feeding of some kind. Even lemon drop when the lemon sharks are here there is enough divers that will shoot a lion fish or two and stir them up in the zoo keeper to bring them in even though that is not considered feeding them. If your mission is all sharks you should consider putting together 4-6 divers and chartering a six pac and that way you can dial in what you want with the captain. Even when the big boats say they are doing something it is common to get there and they have changed plans because the majority wants something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom