Florida/Scubaboard newbie seeking advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We're venturing out of Michigan (the snow is really gone!) to W. Palm for Spring Break. I'd love to get in a day of diving, but the conditions aren't looking so great. What's the local outlook saying for next week? Any recommendations on a dive operator for a relatively inexperienced diver?

the web cam at www.deepsix.com for Sebastian and Jenson Beach. If the water is divable it will be calm if not look to dive springs. Springs are in central Florida to Northern Florida and divable regardless of the surf. Also check NOAA's website for the readings on waves. Local news is reporting 7' to 10' waves, not good diving. :eyebrow:

here's the marine forecast page for West Palm:

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/650.html

the forecast for Sunday shows the seas subsiding to 2 feet or less... so... who knows, maybe you'll have good diving!

...lol wait an hour. That's what they said when I moved here and after living on the beach that's what I know. We've had it rough over the last six weeks for sure. NOAA has actually been less than 50% correct (except the last six weeks) so I've taken to actually betting against them and was doing ok with my system (except the last six weeks lol).

Boat trips are much safer than beach dives, and it's likely that you'll have a great day. Any of the operators up there are terrific. I like Scuba Club - they have a pool, do only one dive each trip, and know where to go... but like I say everybody up there is apparently great.

Oh, and don't worry about being relatively inexperienced. If you are "worried" you can do a skills review with Scuba Club in their tank - they'll run through the basics with you in the tank and an instructor at the window. No charge.

The diving you'll be doing is very easy - perfect for building skills. You just have to remember to LISTEN to the DM/skipper because they'll tell you where the reef is and which way to go on it - a lot of tourists end up on sand going in the wrong direction believe it or not. New divers also tend to 'rush' over the reef, rather than just drift if there's a current or wander slowly in the direction the DM said if not. You can often do your whole dive where they drop you rather than trying to take the whole reef in at once.

scuby_doo:
We're venturing out of Michigan (the snow is really gone!) to W. Palm for Spring Break. I'd love to get in a day of diving, but the conditions aren't looking so great. What's the local outlook saying for next week? Any recommendations on a dive operator for a relatively inexperienced diver?

what, are you trying to undermine the credibility of weather forecasters?

oh...wait...

:wink:

H2Andy:
what, are you trying to undermine the credibility of weather forecasters?

oh...wait...

:wink:

let me guess what YOU do for a living..... :wink:

ah.... not a weather forecaster...

but i'm not telling what i do do for a living (doo-doo for a living?)

MikeJacobs:
lol YES! But the Sunday forecast looks great... are you joining us in Hollywood?

alas, i shall be on my way back from Gray's Reef after
diving with the Deep South Divers (including SeaJay and
RavenC)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom