Florida: Sailboat nearly runs over divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a thread on this over in the florida forum that goes into detail. When they had a meeting to discuss turning BHB into a dive sanctuary the sailboater were very vocal about retaining the use of the secondary channel because of extra mast clearance. Once he was committed he had no choice but to keep going. If it becomes an issue, divers probably will be prohibited from using the secondary channel.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/393717-sailboat-runs-over-diveflags-bhb.html

... odds are pretty good that "further action" would mean the FWW deciding that the bridge should be put off-limits to divers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That is what many of us fear if too much stink is raised.The bridge is actually higher where the boat went throuh than it is at the channel. That is why sailboats use that path.

I doubt the captain ever saw the flags. When he was alerted, it was too late to stop or avoid them (without damaging his boat).

No excuse for not shutting down the engines!

As many of you know, divers dive the bridge around hi tide. So, why is a boat with clearance problems going thru there at hi tide when his clearance is reduced--earlier or later, there would be 2-3.5 feet more available clearance at that site. If draft was a problem--there's more water in the marked channel. As a frequent diver at BHB, I always considered that area free of boats other than the occasional dumbass. That is, until a meeting to consider uw sanctuary status for the Blue Heron Bridge dive area. Apparently some sailboaters indicated the area used by the boat on video is an approved alternate channel as it offers increased mast clearance. I still don't know if their statement is accurate in that the "east" channel is approved by anyone but themselves.

Does anyone know if their info is accurate? Does the area to the east of the marked channel have some official status as an alternate channel??

This aerial view might help those unfamiliar with the area understand the video and comments. If anyone knows exactly where the channel markers are, please add to this picture. I can only recollect the general area where a few of them are.

View Google aerial view of the area.

Sailboat-versus-divers-map.jpg

Hi folks,

I was referred to this story from another forum. As a newbie and a non-diver, I would like to add some perspective. I have noticed here and in some of the divers interviewed a pattern I see similar to what bikers often use. Basically, "Watch out for me." Your safety is ultimately YOUR responsibility.

If you watch the video again, you will see that the sailboat likely did not see the divers until he was committed. Those flags are near the back side of the bridge. And it looks like he may have slowed down or coasted through once he did see it. It would have been prudent to put a flag at the other side of the bridge to allow visibility at a greater distance. Also, the video is not clear, but those flags do not look like regulation flags. I don't think this captain had too many options.

I see similar to what bikers often use. Basically, "Watch out for me."
Probably because boats are faster, bigger, weigh more, have higher viewing, and then there are the laws...?! :confused:

Hi folks,

I was referred to this story from another forum. As a newbie and a non-diver, I would like to add some perspective. I have noticed here and in some of the divers interviewed a pattern I see similar to what bikers often use. Basically, "Watch out for me." Your safety is ultimately YOUR responsibility.

If you watch the video again, you will see that the sailboat likely did not see the divers until he was committed. Those flags are near the back side of the bridge. And it looks like he may have slowed down or coasted through once he did see it. It would have been prudent to put a flag at the other side of the bridge to allow visibility at a greater distance. Also, the video is not clear, but those flags do not look like regulation flags. I don't think this captain had too many options.

Captains of vessels over 35 feet in length, do not "commit" to a bridge crossing without looking before entering....ever...unless drunk perhaps. I used to have a 34 foot Regal powerboat, and while this is nothing in comparison to operating that Sailboat, I could never have approached this bridge without carefully looking for boats or objects in my path. There is just far too much traffic on the intracoastal waterways, for any other choice by the captain....he would have come in straight, and reversed engines if he saw anything in the way...the aerial map a post or 2 prior to this, shows a course suggestion which is highly unlikley....look at the map again..there is a boat staight out from the main channel to the north..this is where the actual channel runs, and the area the map suggests, outside of the nav channel, can be shallow enough to walk in this far from the channel, along much of the intracoastal....while it does happen to be about 10 feet deep in the map indicated/guessed at course, only a boater with great knowledge of the waters here could imagine such an approach, there would be no good reason for it--as it is unsafe, for visual purposes, and EVEN with this angle in, the sailboat could still have reversed engines, easily backing up and then standing to....

We have yet to hear from the captain in question, but so far, it seems he just felt divers were no more than scum that he might need to clean off of his hull or props, later. The TV video shows the captain of Deep Obsession warning the sailboat, and the warnings began in time for him to reverse if he so desired--he did NOT. It almost looks like he was "looking" to create a "test case"...maybe the real story here is that the Sailboaters want to ban divers from this channel...and they will use their navigation rights to do it, given the News incident, and the sudden "danger" now apparent.
Common sense? Not someting we can hope for :shakehead:

A clarification to the aerial view I posted a few posts back...

The white dots lead from the text "apparent course" to the black line and arrow. The black line and arrow I drew to show where it appears to me from the video that the sailboat travelled.

Back
Top Bottom