Florida recommendations...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For week day trips you probably won't have a problem finding space but the weekend will likely be crowded. But then too the focus of some of the boats may be geared more toward hunting locations then the best reef/wreck dives. I was thinking you might pick up a meal yourself if interested but didn't consider the logistics of gear and preparation.

BHB dives that week may work well if you like early morning dives. High tides starting the 12th attached. I am hoping that Force-e or Pura Vida sponsors a night dive sometime that week but it may be before you arrive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 192
Some really nice info here, thanks and keep it coming! :wink:

So if I was interested in some lobsters, it seems I might not even need a license?

From the site: Visitor Licenses

[h=3]Visitors do not need a saltwater fishing license or a snook or spiny lobster *permit if...[/h]

So would most or all boats taking divers to get lobsters have a vessel license?

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2015 at 07:58 PM ----------

So it looks like you have to rent tanks from the dive boat.

If going on a two or three tank charter, do you need to rent the number of tanks for each dive or do they typically have a compressor and fill between dives?

Keith: you'll need to rent two or three tanks. Only live aboard boats have compressors. You'll need a Florida salt-water fishing license and lobster endorsement. None of the recreational dive boats, that I know of, have vehicle licenses.

Last edited:
Hey Keith. How goes the plans?

Most of the vessel licenses are the fishing charter boats. Like, sportxhl, I don't know any dive boats but can't hurt to ask when you book. And for tanks, when you make a boat reservation just let them know you need tanks and they will have them ready on the boat for you. Some of the ops will have 100's if you ask. And weights are included.

Just got an update for a BHB night dive. Force-e is sponsoring one for Thursday the 13th in case you are interested.

Hey Keith. How goes the plans?

Most of the vessel licenses are the fishing charter boats. Like, sportxhl, I don't know any dive boats but can't hurt to ask when you book. And for tanks, when you make a boat reservation just let them know you need tanks and they will have them ready on the boat for you. Some of the ops will have 100's if you ask. And weights are included.

Just got an update for a BHB night dive. Force-e is sponsoring one for Thursday the 13th in case you are interested.

Not confirmed yet, waiting on customer response. Should know in the next day or two.

Thanks for the info and the heads up on Force-E. Trying to figure out if it would be best to rent the tanks at each destination or rent a couple tanks for the 4 days and just get fills. 100's are always nice, that is what I dive with here, but steel. Are steel tanks rented out there or is it primarily aluminum?

AL 80's are the most common tank available as rentals. A few shops do have steel 80's and 100's. I know JDC does and I believe Force-E might have a handful of steel rentals too.

If you decide to rent tanks and haul them, look into 'fill cards'. Most shops have them and that will save a you a few bucks on fills. Because I'm local, I buy JDC's nitrox cards which get each individual fill down to $5 or $6 on a 120 steel and 100 AL. However, if I were traveling to the area, I'd just rent tanks from whatever boat your using that day:much easier than having to run to shops after the dives to get your fills.

Last edited:
If you have time, get down to Key Largo and dive the Spiegel. It's a 510 ft long Navy ship in 140 fsw. It takes a few dives to see the whole thing, but it's enormity alone is worth the trip. I've used Rainbow Reef, Scuba Diving Florida Keys | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, FL, perhaps there are better charters. Rainbow reef does supply tanks with the boat ticket.

Happy diving!

I want to thank everyone for the input on this thread.

Trip confirmed and reservations in place!

I will be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale on Tuesday 8/11 around 10:30.

I am looking to dive that afternoon and Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Flying home in the afternoon on Saturday.

I am completely open to diving anywhere. Anyone want to join me?

Hi Keith. We are lobster hunting off Narcosis out of Riviera Beach/WPB all that week but I will almost certainly be at the BHB night dive and can bring an extra steel tank and weights if you like. Just be warned, I am a lousy navigator and guide! Eric refuses to dive the bridge with me!

The only dive operators I am familiar with are in WPB and a few in Jupiter. For Wednesday, a shore dive at LBTS may be your best option. Then Thursday it may be possible to do the morning BHB dive, an afternoon dive with Jupiter dive Center, I am pretty sure they have one, then the night dive at BHB. But that would be a long day indeed!

That leaves Friday open for a morning dive anywhere you like. I have heard good things about the Boynton Beach diving including Kevin with Underwater Explorers. The down side with that operation is that they do not provide a guide to tow your float.

I will do a little more investigating and hopefully the usual suspects for SF diving will chime in.

Edit. Added map BHB...

Attachments

• BHB.jpg
    BHB.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom