Florida quarry's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darkmoon3d

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been living in Florida for almost two years now, having moved here from Indiana. Have found this state has all types of diving from cave, springs, to ocean and beach diving. Was wondering if Florida has and rock quarry's similiar to what the midwest has? A good example (where I used to dive alot) would be GIlboa - http://www.divegilboa.com/ . Basically would be rock quarry filled with an odd assortment of objects including cars, trucks, buses, boats, coffins, etc.

Does anyone know of any rock quarries similiar to this in Florida?

What? You move to Florida and you miss quarry diving? That's why we have the ocean. We even have real wrecks you can dive on. :wink:

They may be quarries in the northern part of the state that people dive in, but there's not any developed scuba parks like Gilboa anywhere in south Florida.

Marc

My first ever dives were in Spring Quarries outside Branford, Florida.

40 fathom grotto is probably similar to what you are used to. You need to go with a guide, but NetDoc here on the baord is a guide there. They have tons of stuff sunk in there, planes, motorcycles, cars, etc. Plus there are fossils in the walls.

I have seen water in and around old limestone quarries, but don't know of anyone that has dived in them.

Pete, any chance of organzing a trip to 40-Fathom? I've never been and would
love to dive it. I'm sure there are others here who would jump at the opportunity.

Devil's Den park has a quarry in it somewhere. I went once for a nav session for master diver. It isn't very deep though, probably 25 feet. It also gets a just a bit cold in the winter, though. (3 mil wesuit with hooded vest, water temp 57, and 34 outside with ice in the barbecues, I was still cold 5 hours later!!!!)

Also, the prevalence of springs means that many lakes and rivers are quite clear compared to other areas in the country.

Florida does have some quarries that are diveable. I dove one outside Tampa during my Trimix Instructor course. It was dull (no machinery or anything) and had a really nasty hydrogen sulfide layer. As far as something like Gilboa goes, 40 Fathom Grotto is probably your best bet.

No, sorry. We outsource all our quarry diving to where there isnt reefs and wrecks and cave systems. We try to be nice to those crazy people up north.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try "40 Fathom Grotto" sometime. Does it have a website?

Hey chickdiver,

Is that hudson grotto you were refering to? How was the viz? Worth didving if just looking to get wet for an hour and I'm in the area? Any thoughts and opinions helpful. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom