Florida offshore oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain, I think it is both amoral and very selfish of you to think that one species is entitled to plunder the entire planet without any regard for all the other forms of life. I believe that all life is precious and that in no way jeopardizes a dive buddy or any other living thing. And yes, my friends do know that I revere all life; I think they agree with me.

I personally drive a Honda Civic as little as possible. I recycle or re-use everything that I can, especially plastics. I have recently stopped using bottled water in favor of a Britta pitcher and a re-useable bottle. I try not to waste any resource. I eat only very small amounts of meats as they cost too much (in resources, not money) and I make an effort to consume foods that have not been transported all over the world. I am currently working / researching ways for me personally to convert my home energy use to a renewable source.

No matter what, we all need to stop using more than our share of the world's resources. This is especially the case in the U.S. where we use a ridiculously high percentage of everything. We are not entitled.

So how much fossil fuel do you people use and why?

Honda is test marketing fuel cell Accords, I believe in S. California. They have set up an infrastructure to service and fuel the vehicles in that area. [It ain't gonna be GM that fixes this]

Why do you think it would take so long to make any progress?
Edison invented a system for incandescent lighting in the early 1880's. Within a few years, power stations appeared in the cities and by 1900, all of the U.S. and Canada were wired.
Humans are pretty smart and resourceful. I don't agree with all the negativity.

Some busses do run on diesel, however, how many people do they transport per gallon?

If there is risk of human life then it follows (at least to me) that there can be risk of damage to the rig its self.

Florida has some pristine shore line and as my last post said a thriving tourist industry now why would we want to risk jeopardizing that. Especially as,
1/ no one seems to know just exactly how much oil is out there.
2/ Along with the rigs comes the support industry for them. Sea ports getting larger and more busy, then the road traffic will increase to/from the ports.

I would not mind the rigs been seen on the horizon, its what comes with it, industry and the risk.

We have very little industry in Fl it is one of the few relatively unspoilt places left, thats why we have a lot of tourists (Divers). Lets not only keep what pristine conditions we have but try to improve on them (quantity)

First there was the wonderful fuel COAL and look what a mess that got us into, then we learned (somewhat) IMO we are going down the same path with oil.

We have a good idea why we have the dead spot in the Gulf, are we doing anything about it naaa.

I will pay the price that oil is costing and if the time comes when I can not afford it, then no I will not lock the car in the garage, I will sell it and catch a bus.

After Katrina there were reports of fish found on one rig platform 90 feet above sea level. I wouldn't want to be on a rig when a 90 foot wave washes over it but other than minor damage the rig survived quite well.
Using more acreage to grow crops for ethanol will worsen the dead zone which is caused by fertilizer runoff from mid west farming.

Florida unspoiled, ha ha, no industry, what about the tourist industry. Just look at all the high rise condos blocking the view of the beachs and water that it brought. Disney World, yea, that is a pristine wonder of nature. I started diving in Florida 40 years ago I have seen the change and it ain't pretty.

I drove through Cristal River a while back after 30 years away, I could't find one thing I recognized. All the natural land around the river had been subdivided, canals dug and homes built, most with a large energy using boat moored behind them.

The run off from the Farmers is a cause for the dead zone in the gulf. However the amount of herbicides and fertilizers used on farms is tiny compared to all the crap thrown on lawns in this country.
I don't believe in putting something on grass to make it grow faster so I can buy four dollar gas just so I can cut the grass more often.

Logically speaking, supply and demand alone wouldn't cause the oil prices we see now. IMHO, if we started drilling, oil prices would lower, for psychological reasons, rather than rational ones. I predict we will have an alternate to oil in the next ten years or so.
I am interested in hearing the logic behind the conclusion that supply and demand alone are not responsible for the current price of oil.

I predict we will have an alternate to oil in the next ten years or so.

Are Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny working on that for you?

what do buses run on? diesel fuel perhaps?

Mass transit is, a lot cheaper, less polluting 1 bus 30-40 people or 30-40 cars. I think it is a accepted fact that mass transit is a lot better all round, except its less convenient, heavens that will never do will it.

After Katrina there were reports of fish found on one rig platform 90 feet above sea level. I wouldn't want to be on a rig when a 90 foot wave washes over it but other than minor damage the rig survived quite well.
Using more acreage to grow crops for ethanol will worsen the dead zone which is caused by fertilizer runoff from mid west farming.

Florida unspoiled, ha ha, no industry, what about the tourist industry. Just look at all the high rise condos blocking the view of the beachs and water that it brought. Disney World, yea, that is a pristine wonder of nature. I started diving in Florida 40 years ago I have seen the change and it ain't pretty.

I drove through Cristal River a while back after 30 years away, I could't find one thing I recognized. All the natural land around the river had been subdivided, canals dug and homes built, most with a large energy using boat moored behind them.

And not for the better, but I still prefer it to LA

And not for the better, but I still prefer it to LA
\

Ever been to Louisiana?

It's the futures market, a bunch of rich people are betting that you are willing to buy any amount for any price. So far they are correct. Investors purchase huge lots of oil well in advance of production, betting on what the price will be.These lots are futures and can be traded among investors. You only have to put down cash of 6-7%; if you are wrong about the price you will lose big. You buy futures in things, like crops, that take a known period of time to produce and can be lost. In oil, supply is known in advance and fairly steady: whatever Opec said they will produce, they will. (and we will beg for more). Demand, I believe, is always 100%; that is, people will buy as much as there is, and more.
So right now, people are frantically trading around barrels of oil that will be produced in say, September, and maybe someone thinks they can get 200 dollars a barrel. Hope not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom