Florida offshore oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are so many factors to address, it's almost impossible to know where to begin.
1) The Gulf of Mexico coasts look the way they do because 11 river systems with high silt loads empty into it, not because of offshore drilling. For example, the water off the coast of Texas is stained brown because rivers run through over a thousand miles of the Permian "Texas Redbeds" which produce low density silt that goes all the way to the Gulf. Once you get beyond the alluvial fan of those river systems, the water is Caribbean blue (about 20 miles or so, depending upon currents). Incidentally, this is precisely where the highest density of offshore platforms are...nearly 4000 of them.
2) One of those platforms is directly adjacent to the Flower Gardens Banks National Marine Sanctuary (did someone say that Florida is the ONLY state with a national underwater preserve???). This oil facility has been in operation for a couple of decades and has had virtually no impact upon the richness of the species diversity of the reef system, other than perhaps to enhance it! It's certainly strange that we'll spend millions of dollars to sink a decommissioned ship and hail it as as a great artificial reef, but condemn the idea of an oil platform that does the same thing while providing a desperately needed natural resource. By the way, the FGBNMS is so incredibly healthy, it serves as a benchmark reef system for practically all reef ecosystems on the planet. For comparison, the benthic cover of the Flower Gardens is about 57 percent. By comparison, the Florida NMS is about 36 percent.
3) Oil drilling and spill prevention techniques have improved light years since IXTOC I. While accidents and natural disasters are possible, the record is incredibly better than it was and continues to develop all the time.
4) Those "tar balls" on the beaches of Galveston are not the result of offshore drilling. They are more associated with improper (and illegal) purging of tankers that frequent the area's refinement ports. (By the way, these tankers deliver billions of barrels of FOREIGN oil every year.) However, the mentioned pollution is a product of shipment rather than drilling. If the question is whether to allow DRILLING offshore, it won't be a problem. However, if someone mentions building a refinery, then you might have grounds to get upset.
5) All the talk about increased drilling and exploration really needs to consider what we expect. De we think that we can increase our production enough to become self-reliant using oil as our main energy source. That's ludicrious. It is, after all, a depletable resource. However, should increased production be considered as a time-buying strategy until we can develop other sources? Absolutely. We got into this mess because we didn't heed the warning sufficiently from the seventies.
Finding more oil domestically can only help diminish a dilemma that will have to be conquered someday. We have to diminish our dependence on the stuff, and that's an undeniable fact. But to keep the economy healthy enough to develop other technologies, we'd better be willing to do what it takes to stay strong until we do so.

Rick Murchison it's been a while since I've had the opportunity to wholeheartly agree with you and on this subject I wholeheartly agree with you.

I am by no means trying to get into a debate and I respect all your posts on here, I have learned alot from you. But what I dont understand is the forward thinking about Oil, Oil, Oil. I read what Brazil is doing and I think its great. They have perfected the alterantive fuel by using sugar cane. They produce it and it perfroms better than our corn can. It burns cleaner and more effciently plus cheaper!!! Guess who makes the cars for them???......thats right Ford & GMC. But as long as we all think drill, drill, drill, we will never get out of this rut we are in. Who cares how many years we have left in crude oil. Why not do something now and get away from being controlled like we are now. I was born in 69 so I really did not have to deal the oil crisis back then...What I do question is why didnt we learn from it and said never again will we depend on other countries controlling our why of life! People are losing thier jobs and prices on all goods are going thru the roof because of this oil dependency. Look at Europe and see how much fuel costs over there. We are spoiled and I am one of them, but come on enough is enough. Thankyou for reading my comment

Brazil's real energy independence comes from increased offshore drilling. Their ethanol comes from destroying the rainforest.

There are so many factors to address, it's almost impossible to know where to begin.
1) The Gulf of Mexico coasts look the way they do because 11 river systems with high silt loads empty into it, not because of offshore drilling. For example, the water off the coast of Texas is stained brown because rivers run through over a thousand miles of the Permian "Texas Redbeds" which produce low density silt that goes all the way to the Gulf. Once you get beyond the alluvial fan of those river systems, the water is Caribbean blue (about 20 miles or so, depending upon currents). Incidentally, this is precisely where the highest density of offshore platforms are...nearly 4000 of them.

5) All the talk about increased drilling and exploration really needs to consider what we expect. De we think that we can increase our production enough to become self-reliant using oil as our main energy source. That's ludicrious. It is, after all, a depletable resource. However, should increased production be considered as a time-buying strategy until we can develop other sources? Absolutely. We got into this mess because we didn't heed the warning sufficiently from the seventies.
Finding more oil domestically can only help diminish a dilemma that will have to be conquered someday. We have to diminish our dependence on the stuff, and that's an undeniable fact. But to keep the economy healthy enough to develop other technologies, we'd better be willing to do what it takes to stay strong until we do so.

Both of these are key points the levee systems (breaching in an area near you soon!):11: are the cause for the muddy look of the near shore water by the Gulf States. If the system was not built the rivers sytem would crest several times a year depositing rich sedament on farm lands across the country. Large polulations living near the river caused the system to be built. And it needs to stay, however if this sedament was not funneled down river and into the gulf the water would be as blue as the rest of the gulf.

The nation has an massive energy crisis that will need a multi pronged solution of new drilling, better regulation of the speculative trading of resources (not just oil but food as well), more effcient cars and homes, and hopefully soon new technolgy leading to not just alternative energy, but alternative energy that with out any subsides is econmicly friendly while being earth friendly as well.

No offense to people who live in the other Gulf Coast states, but I would rather not have Florida's coastline look like that of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama.

Here are some pictures from a dive charter that I went with last weekend. You won't find this stuff on an oil rig or off the coast of any Gulf Coast state except Florida. Pictures

The link is actually from last year; I frequent this charter and I am actually in one of the pictures featured.

You need to go dive the coast of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama because I have seen everything in the photos you linked to off the coast of these states. Now we do have a longer boat ride to get to good vis unless the heavens bless us with good winds for several days then the run can be shorter. However as mentioned above the oil rigs have nothing to do with he water color off the coast. I don't mind the longer run as it also puts you far enough south that the spotting of an occasional whale shark is possible for a nice SI snorkel.:D

I worked 12 years in the industry as an exploration geologist for a major until oil prices collapsed to 12 dollars. The domestic companies asked for help from the Federal government and told them there would be a reckoning someday if they did not help keep prices at a drillable level of 20 to 24 dollars a barrel, guess what, that day has come, good thing I have a bunch of petroleum stocks bought at "collapse" prices.

The technology to explore for the oil/gas and to exploit it has come a long way. The main concern is onshore infratructure, not the rigs over the horizon. My other concern is Cuba drilling close to the US, one of the benifits of being a super power should be that any Chinese backed Cuban rigs be met by an aircraft carrier. Why, because we can explore without spilling a drop and exploit with perhaps spilling three drops but a barely third world dictatorship will spill oil all over the place and the prevailing currents will wash it all over Florida and the East and Gulf coasts. What will the PC wimps in Washington do about that, any of them, all of them including both of the presidential dimwits have not a clue.

N

Here are some pictures from a dive charter that I went with last weekend. You won't find this stuff on an oil rig or off the coast of any Gulf Coast state except Florida. Pictures

Frankenberry, I agree with Edge on this one. Every species in your pictures can be found in the FG, and MOST of them (perhaps not the crab...) make their homes on High Island 389, the platform I mentioned that adjoins the FGBNMS. And the water there is just as clean and pristine as that in your photos. I'll try to upload some video if anyone is interested in seeing it or needs it proved to them...

Look at the two videos on this site. Here are reefs surrounded by oil rigs in better health than many in the Keys.

Do you really believe that? My son is an Air Force Cryptologic Linguist specializing in Mandarin Chinese. Believe me they are still a threat. Perhaps even more so now as our Armed Forces face thousands of computer attacks originating from inside mainland China. I don't think it's those people out in the rice paddies on their laptops doing it. Also look at their human rights record. They are a threat to free thinking people everywhere. Our cold war with the soviets may have ended 19 years ago but the hardliners in Russia would like nothing better than to start it up again. I have a friend from the Ukraine who just went back to visit her family a month or so ago. They are very wary of Russia. Mainly because there is no one like Reagan to stand up to them anymore. THink either of the two candidates would tell em to tear down the wall. Hell No! To busy being PC and flip flopping on everything. Sorry for the hijack but when somewone is so naive to not recognize we still face great threats from old enemies it gets my blood up and shows me why we are where we are and the Saudi's and Venezuelans are laughing at us. And think Cuba wants ties with us now? The RED CHINESE will be drilling 60 miles off our coasts and Cuba could care less what happens to Florida. Other than wishing the expats living here might get covered with any spill. Watch the Olympics, it will be a carefully orchestrated sham. You will see none of the real chinese people. Only what the reds want you to see. Not all chinese do I consider Red. Just their goverment and it's stooges and lackeys.

BTW, I am not anti-Chinese, I just don't want their surrogates (Cuba) drilling for oil and dumping it all over our coasts (or Cuba's for that matter). Here is an example of where our non- relationship with Cuba will hurt us more than them.

It is apparent that engineering technology and science as well as finance technology have grown in scope and complexity beyond the mental capacity of the lawyers who run our country and know what is best for us and populate congress. If they were to educate themselves they would realize this is not 1969 anymore and covering everything with ugly windmills and solar cells will not solve our problem, solar and wind can help, so can drilling but the ultimate solution is nuke thus reserving highly portable and energy dense hydrocarbon fuels for transportation.

Cold war, OK, call the President a name and you get on CNN, call the Chairman a name and a tank runs over you and your falmily has their organs harvested and their bodies become part of a " Real Human Body" display. Their dog food is not any good and they put lead in all of their exports to dumb our children down. Nope, I don't see a cold war anywhere but their flag is still red last I checked which is the symbology that distinguished them (Red Chinese) from the Nationalist Chinese.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom