Florida offshore oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remains to be seen how serious is serious. I live and dive about 75 miles from where it happened and have friends in the offshore oil business so I have some insite into what the story really is.

what the story really is

how serious is serious

what the story really is

how serious is serious

Time will tell. The leak is relatively small and confidence is high that it can be shut off within days. The longer it continues the more serious it gets.

Time will tell. The leak is relatively small and confidence is high that it can be shut off within days. The longer it continues the more serious it gets.

How relative is this? 1000 barrels a day is small leak? Compared to 10.000 barrels? I guess. Still a lot of crap polluting the ocean.

How relative is this? 1000 barrels a day is small leak? Compared to 10.000 barrels? I guess. Still a lot of crap polluting the ocean.
The floor of the gulf "leaks" in many places. Nobody knows just how much, but what we do know is that occasional crude oil blobs on the beaches - especially along the Texas coast - predates the first offshore well. A thousand barrels a day is not insignificant and it needs to be capped quickly, but it's not "disaster" level, either. Whether is will make a noticeable increase in the natural levels of oil already in the gulf is as yet unknown. If any of it shows up in Alabama or Florida that'll be significant.
Rick

Yes, I have been following this issue as well. My thinking is that by setting fire to the oil you are just moving the pollution from the ocean to the air - I dont know which is worse.

Sounds desperate to me.!

Bad news, good news

The figure being guessed at today is 42,000 gallons of oil a day

At the rate of 42,000 gallons of oil a day, the leak would have to continue for 262 days to match the 11-million-gallon spill from the Exxon Valdez in 1989, the worst oil spill in United States history.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom