Florida mini lobster season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are going down this year for the second time. Last year we were not scuba certified and didnt have any luck finding them. Does anybody know which island is the best to find them? Will we be able to get to the lobsters on a pontoon boat?

all help will be appreciated.

-Vann

Stupid Question:

What are the requirements for an out of state diver to come down and partake of the fun for the upcoming mini-season? (Apart from coming up with a ride: calling in sick: and sneaking all one's dive gear out the door without one's spouse becoming suspicious.)

Stupid question #2: If the 29th and 30th are the "mini" season, when is the full on, get your grub on, stuff yourself with bugs and dive dive dive till your legs forget how to walk on dry land, regular lobster season? :D:D:D

Thanks for answering a PITA newb's questions.

I want to warn you, those lobsters read the paper. They seem to know when lobster season is and run and hide. When you turn your back, they run out of their hole, do their happy dance and run back in before you can turn around.

Read the rules carefully. You will get a ticket for taking more than your catch, not having whole lobsters on the boat, not having a license, catching at night, and not using a dive flag to name a few of the rules. You can catch 6 lobsters per licensed harvester per day in Monroe Co. (the Florida Keys), and 12 per day in other counties allowing harvesting.

Mini season starts 1201 am on Wednesday, July 29 and ends at 12 midnight July 30.
You can download the Monroe County mini lobster season brochure at Lobster Season In The Florida Keys - Monroe County

Rhino, look carefully under rocks/ledges/crevices etc. they love to hide under things, the main thing to look for is their antennae... watch people catch them on youtube, it can be frustrating at first, but when you learn how to do it, it's crazy easy... and yes, you can catch them on anything that floats really, a lot of people even use kayaks...

shawnferd, get an out of state saltwater license with a crawfish stamp, you can even call it in and write down all the info, but just do it ahead of time so you'll receive your info before traveling to FL...

this will be my 4th time, and I LOVE IT...

this year I'm gonna try bully netting, if anyone has any tips, tricks, techniques, etc please tell me! Is it hard?

thanks!

a lot of people even use kayaks...

Never underestimate the power of the yak....

miniseason045.jpg

P7260075.jpg

hey, you like those 2000HF's?

I can't decide between the 3000 or 2000... are they very stiff?

PS! I'm sure that picture was taken like, maybe 10 years ago! ;-)

The top picture was probably about 5 or 6 years ago don't recall exactly, the bottom I think two, maybe three years ago, I've done so many mini seasons they all kind of blend together now.

I like the 2000HF's a lot, they are pretty stiff but they are also the only longblades I have ever owned so I have nothing to compare them to.

Rhino, look carefully under rocks/ledges/crevices etc. they love to hide under things, the main thing to look for is their antennae... watch people catch them on youtube, it can be frustrating at first, but when you learn how to do it, it's crazy easy... and yes, you can catch them on anything that floats really, a lot of people even use kayaks...

shawnferd, get an out of state saltwater license with a crawfish stamp, you can even call it in and write down all the info, but just do it ahead of time so you'll receive your info before traveling to FL...

this will be my 4th time, and I LOVE IT...

this year I'm gonna try bully netting, if anyone has any tips, tricks, techniques, etc please tell me! Is it hard?

thanks!

Thanks for the info!

Can you grab them by the antennas or will they break off? Their tail looks like it will pinch you if you grab it. Will i have better luck around key west or islamarada?

Thanks again,
Vann

Hey, I have both. I prefer the 2000's for scuba as the stiffness assists in pushing one through the water with gear better than the 3000 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom